Franklin Barbecue

I have it. Its a good read. The beginning is his story from the first time he smoked meat, its pretty interesting. Then he goes into everything from pits, wood, fire, seasoning, meat cuts, trimming....

Definitely worth the cashe.

rb

Fun read.

Most of the recipes and cooking instructions can be found online, although it's nice to have everything presented in a nice package. His history from broke musician to BBQ guru running a restaurant is pretty interesting.

Dang! The first line made me think the food was on sale - no such luck. Fortunately, I wasn't even yet to my car to go to Austin.

Its a good book. The only complaint is the potato salad recipe is bad. Never had potato salad taste like pickles before. Just not right imo. If you like pickles you will love it. If not stay away from it.
Everything else is great.

Anyone own it? Is there more info than just watching his YouTube vids?
I own both of Franklin's books. The Smoked Meat Manifesto and the Steak book.

I would say the smoked meat manifesto, the "bar b que" book, is worth every dime. Very complete work on not only how he does what he does, but the "why" of it. Even if you make different choices in your own cooking, seeing a thorough explanation (with pictures) is really helpful. I am not a big cookbook person. Not at all. But, this is a different kind of book. This isn't a cookbook so much as it it a process control book. He is describing and teaching his process.

The Steak book I wasn't as enthralled with. Its still pretty good and I enjoyed it, but, I found myself disagreeing on a lot more points. Still a fine effort.

If you only get one, get the meat smoking manifesto. Worth every dime

Its a good book. The only complaint is the potato salad recipe is bad. Never had potato salad taste like pickles before. Just not right imo. If you like pickles you will love it. If not stay away from it.
Everything else is great.

Its the exact recipe he uses at the restaurant.

Its the exact recipe he uses at the restaurant.

I am sure it is. Just never had a potato salad I didn't like until this one. It tastes too much of pickle. Maybe its a regional thing. Potato salad is one of my favorite sides. One recipe that I don't like in a whole book is pretty good.

Some folks might like it but I don't. If you like pickles you will love it. If you don't like pickles avoid it.

Like the rest of the book just fine.

I own both of Franklin's books. The Smoked Meat Manifesto and the Steak book.
[snip], this is a different kind of book. This isn't a cookbook so much as it it a process control book. He is describing and teaching his process.

I liked the book (Manifesto) also not for the recipes but for the tips and techniques. Along these lines, Mike Mills "Peace, Love, & Barbecue", while containing a lot of recipes (more than Franklin's) it focuses on the lore, tips and techniques for good old 'Q.
https://www.amazon.com/Peace-Love-B...ike+mills+bbq&qid=1565697175&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Back