snack sticks

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I made up ten pounds of snack stix yesterday and smoked them over apple/cherry in two batches. 5 lbs. was made with 60% venison and 40% pork butt. The other 5lbs was 80/20 chuck and pork butt. All had high temp cheddar cheese added. I used my own recipe as follows. Lotta work in making them but sure taste good when out on the boat fishing :)

recipe-

7 lbs ground chuck roast
3 lbs ground pork butt
1 pound hi temp cheddar (optional)
3 TB kosher salt
4 TB paprika
2 Tsp pink salt or "insta cure #1
6 TB ground mustard
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp white pepper
1 Tsp ground celery seed
1 TB mace
1 Tsp granulated garlic
1 Tsp granulated onion
1 Tsp cayenne

1.5 oz's dextrose powder (optional)
6 oz's powdered buttermilk

1 to 2 cups liquid. I used 1 cup red wine in which I dissolved the pink salt. the mixture was till pretty dry so I added another cup of ice water.

Stuff into collagen casings and hang in cool place overnight or for few hours. Place in smoker with NO smoke for an hour at about 120. add wood and gradually increase temps over 4 or 5 hr period till internal temp is 155-160. smoker temp should not exceed 180. rinse with cool water then hang again for several hours in cool place

Last edited:
What you trying to do !!! Put Slom Jim out of business . BTW they look wonderful

Nice. Are they cured to the point that no refrigeration is needed?

Keep stuffing those ... New jersey is not that far a couple more pounds and you'll reach me. Then I'll have some snack sticks too! :becky:

Nice. Are they cured to the point that no refrigeration is needed?

good question and no good answer except I doubt with just the pink salt (nitrite) in them and the fact they are not totally dried, i keep them in the fridge.

Nicely done. Snack sticks are always well accepted. They certainly don't last long.
Do you buy your hi temp cheese locally or internet? I cant find it locally to me.
So I have to do the online ordering crap.

Nicely Done Mike..... those look great makeing up a batch tommorrow and I hope mine turn out half as good as yours.....

Back