Making my First Whole Hog

DavidJohnson101

Reaction score
My birthday is this month and to celebrate my 37th year of existence I am inviting 50 people over to eat, drink and be merry. I've decided to go big or go home and am preparing a whole hog.

I am borrowing a buddies La Caja China to do the cook in. I have watched many videos and researched what and how to cook it. I have decided on a Cuban Mojo marinade that I will be injecting the night before.

My question is this, oh BBQ Brethren of mine, for those of you that have done a whole hog before, what do you wish you would have known before doing it your first time?

I wish I had known how much work the prep would be. Trimming, injection, rub all took a long time. I also wish I had added more flavor. More injection and rub. After trying my first whole hog I went to Myron Mixon's bbq school. I was shocked at the amount of injection, rub and glaze he used. Then when I tasted it it was amazing. So allow plenty of time and be generous with seasonings. Have fun and good luck!

I wish I had known how much work the prep would be. Trimming, injection, rub all took a long time. I also wish I had added more flavor. More injection and rub. After trying my first whole hog I went to Myron Mixon's bbq school. I was shocked at the amount of injection, rub and glaze he used. Then when I tasted it it was amazing. So allow plenty of time and be generous with seasonings. Have fun and good luck!

Thank you, that is great advice! I will make sure to do just that. Oh, and of course take plenty of pictures to share.

Yeah he had enough injection for that hog to get up and run. Take membrane off, cut any excess fat. Watch the mid section cause they will dry out faster than your hams and shoulders. Put some sausage packed in the middle or put some Boston butts on the sides for an even cook. Foil it up if starts getting to dark. Good luck and hope you have a happy birthday.

Ditto what the others said about seasoning. You can't over inject or over season it. Be prepared for the amount of grease that will be rendered. The first whole hog I cooked was 65 pounds and I had over 2 gallons of grease :shock:. And put a chuck of wood in the mouth while cooking so you can put an apple in the mouth when it's done.

Yeah he had enough injection for that hog to get up and run. Take membrane off, cut any excess fat. Watch the mid section cause they will dry out faster than your hams and shoulders. Put some sausage packed in the middle or put some Boston butts on the sides for an even cook. Foil it up if starts getting to dark. Good luck and hope you have a happy birthday.

In the La Caja China it cooks pretty fast (4 hours) and I am a bit worried about over-cooking parts of the pig. I do like your idea of adding some sausage and/or Boston butts. And thank you on the birthday wishes!

Ditto what the others said about seasoning. You can't over inject or over season it. Be prepared for the amount of grease that will be rendered. The first whole hog I cooked was 65 pounds and I had over 2 gallons of grease :shock:. And put a chuck of wood in the mouth while cooking so you can put an apple in the mouth when it's done.

I saw a video where drip pans were added below the pig in the La Caja China (Heat source comes from the top), now I know why they did and will be sure to do the same.

Inject and season then inject and season more!
I stuffed my hogs belly with apples for added moisture and u wonna keep the heat more on the hamssince rheyll take the longest.. i also made a sprayer 4liters of maple syrup and apple vineger.

Only ragret.. slightly too much coal (wood) and a little over done.

The cheek is the best part

I treat a pig like a big pork butt, inject and season. As for the La Caja, I've heard they do not provide smoke flavor, you might want to add wood chips, pellets or chunks wrapped in foil to the inside of the box.
Good luck with it and Happy Birthday!

I've never done one in a La Caja China, but I do remember this thread being good:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107401

I'm with the others on injecting. It takes a little while to take it apart once it's done - unless you just set it out there with some tongs and let the folks have at it.

I always make pork stock out of the bones. Phubar made it out of the pig we did last weekend - looking Phorward to getting into that stuPh! Pork stock is great for jambalaya, rice, soups, sausage making, etc.

Inject and season then inject and season more!
I stuffed my hogs belly with apples for added moisture and u wonna keep the heat more on the hamssince rheyll take the longest.. i also made a sprayer 4liters of maple syrup and apple vineger.

Only ragret.. slightly too much coal (wood) and a little over done.

The cheek is the best part

I like the idea of the apples, I will be doing that!

I treat a pig like a big pork butt, inject and season. As for the La Caja, I've heard they do not provide smoke flavor, you might want to add wood chips, pellets or chunks wrapped in foil to the inside of the box.
Good luck with it and Happy Birthday!

You're right, no smoke. If all goes well I'll buy my own (I'm borrowing this one) and buy the smoke attachment.

I've never done one in a La Caja China, but I do remember this thread being good:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107401

I'm with the others on injecting. It takes a little while to take it apart once it's done - unless you just set it out there with some tongs and let the folks have at it.

I always make pork stock out of the bones. Phubar made it out of the pig we did last weekend - looking Phorward to getting into that stuPh! Pork stock is great for jambalaya, rice, soups, sausage making, etc.

I think I'm going to do a combination. I'll pull some but I'll also have some tongs if people want to pull it off themselves. I will check that link out, thank you for the share!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
David, please post lots of pics when you do this cook. I'd love to see how this turns out.

La caja china is a great tool, but it makes Cuban/Latin style roast pork--delicious but not smoky.

My only advice is to go with it--try to make a cool riff on Cuban style pork.

Since this cooks quickly and without much/any smoke it will not be like whole hog BBQ, so you will only be disappointed if that is what you try to accomplish.

Back