MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
DavidJohnson101
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Making my First Whole Hog

My birthday is this month and to celebrate my 37th year of existence I am inviting 50 people over to eat, drink and be merry. I've decided to go big or go home and am preparing a whole hog.

I am borrowing a buddies La Caja China to do the cook in. I have watched many videos and researched what and how to cook it. I have decided on a Cuban Mojo marinade that I will be injecting the night before.

My question is this, oh BBQ Brethren of mine, for those of you that have done a whole hog before, what do you wish you would have known before doing it your first time?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
SmokinCW
On the road to being a farker

I wish I had known how much work the prep would be. Trimming, injection, rub all took a long time. I also wish I had added more flavor. More injection and rub. After trying my first whole hog I went to Myron Mixon's bbq school. I was shocked at the amount of injection, rub and glaze he used. Then when I tasted it it was amazing. So allow plenty of time and be generous with seasonings. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCW View Post
I wish I had known how much work the prep would be. Trimming, injection, rub all took a long time. I also wish I had added more flavor. More injection and rub. After trying my first whole hog I went to Myron Mixon's bbq school. I was shocked at the amount of injection, rub and glaze he used. Then when I tasted it it was amazing. So allow plenty of time and be generous with seasonings. Have fun and good luck!
Thank you, that is great advice! I will make sure to do just that. Oh, and of course take plenty of pictures to share.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Ham14
Take a breath!

Yeah he had enough injection for that hog to get up and run. Take membrane off, cut any excess fat. Watch the mid section cause they will dry out faster than your hams and shoulders. Put some sausage packed in the middle or put some Boston butts on the sides for an even cook. Foil it up if starts getting to dark. Good luck and hope you have a happy birthday.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Ditto what the others said about seasoning. You can't over inject or over season it. Be prepared for the amount of grease that will be rendered. The first whole hog I cooked was 65 pounds and I had over 2 gallons of grease . And put a chuck of wood in the mouth while cooking so you can put an apple in the mouth when it's done.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly :boxing:
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham14 View Post
Yeah he had enough injection for that hog to get up and run. Take membrane off, cut any excess fat. Watch the mid section cause they will dry out faster than your hams and shoulders. Put some sausage packed in the middle or put some Boston butts on the sides for an even cook. Foil it up if starts getting to dark. Good luck and hope you have a happy birthday.
In the La Caja China it cooks pretty fast (4 hours) and I am a bit worried about over-cooking parts of the pig. I do like your idea of adding some sausage and/or Boston butts. And thank you on the birthday wishes!

Old 09-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Ditto what the others said about seasoning. You can't over inject or over season it. Be prepared for the amount of grease that will be rendered. The first whole hog I cooked was 65 pounds and I had over 2 gallons of grease . And put a chuck of wood in the mouth while cooking so you can put an apple in the mouth when it's done.
I saw a video where drip pans were added below the pig in the La Caja China (Heat source comes from the top), now I know why they did and will be sure to do the same.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
Meskaroni
Knows what a fatty is.

Inject and season then inject and season more!
I stuffed my hogs belly with apples for added moisture and u wonna keep the heat more on the hamssince rheyll take the longest.. i also made a sprayer 4liters of maple syrup and apple vineger.

Only ragret.. slightly too much coal (wood) and a little over done.

The cheek is the best part
Meskaroni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I treat a pig like a big pork butt, inject and season. As for the La Caja, I've heard they do not provide smoke flavor, you might want to add wood chips, pellets or chunks wrapped in foil to the inside of the box.
Good luck with it and Happy Birthday!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
gtr

I've never done one in a La Caja China, but I do remember this thread being good:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=107401

I'm with the others on injecting. It takes a little while to take it apart once it's done - unless you just set it out there with some tongs and let the folks have at it.

I always make pork stock out of the bones. Phubar made it out of the pig we did last weekend - looking Phorward to getting into that stuPh! Pork stock is great for jambalaya, rice, soups, sausage making, etc.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meskaroni View Post
Inject and season then inject and season more!
I stuffed my hogs belly with apples for added moisture and u wonna keep the heat more on the hamssince rheyll take the longest.. i also made a sprayer 4liters of maple syrup and apple vineger.

Only ragret.. slightly too much coal (wood) and a little over done.

The cheek is the best part
I like the idea of the apples, I will be doing that!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #12
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I treat a pig like a big pork butt, inject and season. As for the La Caja, I've heard they do not provide smoke flavor, you might want to add wood chips, pellets or chunks wrapped in foil to the inside of the box.
Good luck with it and Happy Birthday!
You're right, no smoke. If all goes well I'll buy my own (I'm borrowing this one) and buy the smoke attachment.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I've never done one in a La Caja China, but I do remember this thread being good:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=107401

I'm with the others on injecting. It takes a little while to take it apart once it's done - unless you just set it out there with some tongs and let the folks have at it.

I always make pork stock out of the bones. Phubar made it out of the pig we did last weekend - looking Phorward to getting into that stuPh! Pork stock is great for jambalaya, rice, soups, sausage making, etc.
I think I'm going to do a combination. I'll pull some but I'll also have some tongs if people want to pull it off themselves. I will check that link out, thank you for the share!

Old 09-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #14
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

David, please post lots of pics when you do this cook. I'd love to see how this turns out.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
DavidJohnson101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
David, please post lots of pics when you do this cook. I'd love to see how this turns out.
That's a deal!

Tags
La Caja China, whole hog