THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
I am having friends over later this week and wanted to make kettle fried Nashville hot chicken if that is even possible. All of the recipes I have found require deep frying and using some of the oil for the hot slurry. Has anyone tried to make a kettle fried version? If so, any advice and/or recipe suggestions? Thanks!

Start with regular kettle fried chicken. Most hot chicken places use a base of non-spicy chicken with nicely seasoned flour. The spice is a post cook application.

To me, you need the oil or some type of fat mixed with spices to achieve the real taste. If you use hot sauce as a base it's a buffalo wing. You could heat oil in a sauce pan and make the slurry . A few places do just a rub, not as good as oil based but closer to the real deal than a hot sauce base.

I picked up a bag of KosmosQ Nashville Hot Chicken Wing Dust to do what you are talking about but haven't had a chance to do it yet. I would find a thread on smoker fried chicken and then incorporate the Nashville hot chicken flavor into it.

I am having friends over later this week and wanted to make kettle fried Nashville hot chicken if that is even possible. All of the recipes I have found require deep frying and using some of the oil for the hot slurry. Has anyone tried to make a kettle fried version? If so, any advice and/or recipe suggestions? Thanks!

I use a version of this one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/nashville-style-hot-chicken-sandwich-2788842

Just cook the chicken on the kettle and use fresh veg or canola oil to make the sauce. I usually bread the chicken and place on a rack to dry a bit to set the coating. This helps with the crispiness.

Put the oil in a good size pot because it will foam up a good bit when you add the spices.

This is better than some of the chicken I have had in Nashville but it is pretty hot, so beware.

I use a version of this one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/nashville-style-hot-chicken-sandwich-2788842

Just cook the chicken on the kettle and use fresh veg or canola oil to make the sauce. I usually bread the chicken and place on a rack to dry a bit to set the coating. This helps with the crispiness.

Put the oil in a good size pot because it will foam up a good bit when you add the spices.

This is better than some of the chicken I have had in Nashville but it is pretty hot, so beware.

Looks great! Thank you!

Back