MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
MDG816
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default I live and smoke in KC – born and raised in Iowa

Greetings brethren.
I came into my initial love of bbq when I picked up a side job at Battle's Barbeque summer after graduating from Iowa State University in Ames, IA. It was a humble, order at the window, grab a cup of fresh squeezed lemonade while three 20 somethings in the back sliced, and plated sandwiches, ribs, chips, beans, pickles.

A year later I moved down to KC and got a job serving at Jack Stack Barbecue and actually was a trainer in opening up the location on the plaza (if I could go back in time I would've applied to work in the kitchen. the pay wasn't as good, but I'd love to have that experience to draw from now).

That was all about 10 years ago. I'd dreamed of smoking my own meat someday. Then about 3 years ago, my new wife and I were driving around. She wasn't keen on me dropping a few hundred dollars on a hobby I wasn't sure about and that's when she spotted a vertical smoker for $5.

I picked it up, googled it, and have since come to know and kind of love/hate my ECB. A few mods, burns, and curse words later and I've rigged it up and would put my brisket* and butts up against just about anything I've eaten/served elsewhere. That said I'm just about reached my patience with the tending she requires (the smoker, not the wife).

Anyway, I've probably got 5 smokes under my belt, and they've each gotten better. Try to take decent notes so I can improve my process each time.

Here's some flicks from the last or last two smokes.

* - I'm sure you would all call the authorities, but I actually have to fold my whole packers to fit on the ECB. Aside from sometimes being a little difficult to get off the smoker that way, they've still turned out tender, moist and delicious.
MDG816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 12-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
MDG816
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Also, I smoke with lump hardwood charcoal and soaked hickory chips

I'll switch it up at some point, but trying to perfect my approach with hickory for now before I start venturing off into the woods.
MDG816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:04 AM   #3
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have
Old 12-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Welcome to The Brethren. Looks like you have a good handle on smoking meat. A few thousand dollars more and a few more years practice and you'll be unable to escape, just like us.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az, those are some sweet looking cooks you posted there.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Welcome to the forum!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
bigdog10
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome from NY. looks good...
bigdog10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecb, Introduction, iowa, kansas city