MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default "Cured!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Feb 7th!!

Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Cured!"

This was Fatback Joe's winning entry in the 2017 "Cured" Throwdown

As chosen by sudsandswine for winning the "Comfort Food" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine
Hey Moose - I’ve been on a cured meat kick while I’ve been bringing my curing fridge online, so how about a Throwdown that has to include cured meat in it? Figure there’s lots of ways it could go, the cured meat can be the star of the show, or as a featured ingredient in a dish. Things like corned beef or pastrami to pepperoni/salami….ham… or even something with bacon come to mind. You can use your own cured meats or store bought cured meats are also fine. The cured meat in your entry MUST be cooked.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 1/21 through Monday 2/7.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 2/7.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited by Moose; 02-07-2022 at 03:01 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Moose

Old 01-20-2022, 05:29 PM   #3
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Just tossing this out for discussion.

For folks who have no curing experience, can a store bought cured meat be prepared and entered? Or is it just restricted to meats cured/processed at home?
Old 01-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My intention was not for people to have to cure their own meat as part of the TD, just utilize cured meat somehow in the dish, whether that be store bought or homemade.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:35 PM   #5
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Just tossing this out for discussion.

For folks who have no curing experience, can a store bought cured meat be prepared and entered? Or is it just restricted to meats cured/processed at home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
My intention was not for people to have to cure their own meat as part of the TD, just utilize cured meat somehow in the dish, whether that be store bought or homemade.

Glad you brought this up, Craig, and thanks for the clarification, Neal! I've amended the category description to include home cured and store bought cured meats.
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2022, 06:49 AM   #6
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I was gonna comment that people might prefer a little more time if they´re curing themselves but I see it is not a must.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
thirdeye

Bummer.... I'm making a corning brine as I speak, but my full process is 16 or 18 days. Maybe I'll freezer dive, Lord knows I have a lot of home cured meats in there.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 PM   #8
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Doesn’t have to be home cured, just any cured meat though!
Old 01-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #9
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Some rashers I just finished

Please accept this picture as my official entry. I raised this pig in my back yard during this past summer. I "harvested" it and boned it out myself. EQ cured for 14 days with 1.8% salt, 1% brown sugar and 0.25 % Instacure #1. Cold smoked with black cherry wood for 40 hours. Uncovered refrigerator rest for two weeks. Sliced, vacuum packaged and refrigerated for two weeks to equalize the moisture and then frozen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rashers.jpg (78.1 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Yellowhair42; 01-24-2022 at 09:09 PM..
Yellowhair42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #10
LYU370

Making it a little different than I normally do. In Progress...

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #11
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Cured meats platter:

All ingredients came from a local farm, every item on the platter home made.
From top to bottom:

Polish Kabanossy, cured/cold smoked/hot smoked/1 day dried
Pork Rilette
Pickled onions
Beef salami, cured/hot smoked/4 weeks dried
Smoked ham, 10 days cured/cold smoked/4 weeks dried
Old 01-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #12
Moose

Default Please Read: Moderator's Note Regarding Entries in this Throwdown

***Moderator’s Note:***

There’s a couple of things I would like to point out about our first two entries, and this Throwdown category in general:

After conferring privately with sudsanswine, he confirmed what was obvious to some, and not to others, and that was that entries should be cooked in this Throwdown. So, that would mean that any cured meat that you entered, whether store bought or homemade, be cooked, even if they were already pre-smoked. That means if you entered bacon, for example, you would either cook the bacon standalone or as an essential ingredient in a dish.

Additionally, we don’t have any way of knowing whether the first two entries submitted were smoked or finished smoking during the time this Throwdown has been running. This is why we strongly suggest posting a cook thread in Qtalk, or a cook thread here, in the Throwdown entry threads.

I have revised the category description to reflect the fact that entries must be cooked(grilled or smoked) per suds’ intention. Rules 4 & 5 state:

4. Entries must be grilled or smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature grilled or smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots). Using a gas grill is perfectly acceptable, unless a particular category requires the use of a wood or charcoal cooker. Additionally, other forms of wood or gas cooking are fine, which would include a wood fired fireplace (indoor or outdoor), a firepit(gas or wood fired), and other gas/propane powered cookers like pizza ovens, flat tops, and griddles.

5. Entries MUST be prepared during the time that the Throwdown Category is accepting entries. This period of time is specified in the first post of each Throwdown entry thread.

Thanks fer listening, and carry on!

Last edited by Moose; 01-26-2022 at 03:02 PM..
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #13
LYU370

Count me as one of those that didn't get it. And I'm allegedly supposed to be a . I thought (cold) smoked would be good enough.

Oh well, off to the store to start on Plan B which is what I was originally planning on doing anyway.

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #14
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Does cold-smoked count as cooked?

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #15
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
Does cold-smoked count as cooked?
I wouldn't consider it cooked, for cold smoking you generally want to keep temps below 90, that's not really going to cook anything. It's really preserving and adding flavor.