• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Epic Fail Tonight - How Not To BBQ Pork Loin (Pics Inside)

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I finally bought a new camera (whoopwhoop!!!) after melting my last one taking a picture of a ribeye. Don't wear gloves when taking close up shots of steaks on lump!

Okay on with the show....

Klose 20x30:

DSCN0027.jpg

I got lazy and decided instead of burning sticks like I usually do I would go with lump in a basket. First mistake is that I did not fill it up high enough. By the time the pit got to temp most of the lump was burned through. It's been a while since I last used the basket and it was rusty from the rain. It'll burn off!

DSCN0026.jpg

I took a pork loin I had in the fridge and stuffed it with apples, mushrooms, and spinach. Plus A little garlic and herbs for good measure. I tied it up and put on the top rack of the pit since 250 was about as hot as it would get with the amount of coals I had. I was shooting for 300.

DSCN0033.jpg

I love me a Klose pit....

DSCN0029.jpg

After 2 hours at 250 I decided to move it down to the bottom rack hoping that the heat closer to the firebox would speed up the cook. Since the pit was at 250 it was taking longer than expected. No rush since it's just me but I didn't feel like spending all night out there either.

DSCN0034.jpg

I didn't get any process pics after that but I decided to wrap in foil to speed it up. BIG MISTAKE. At this point I was running out of coals so I started feeding it sticks. Temps rose nicely after that but the temp of the meat shot up real fast and about 30 minutes later I temped the meat and it was almost 180! DOH! ***smack myself on forehead*** I rested and got the aparagus on the grill to cook up. These came out nice.

DSCN0036.jpg

The pics actually make the meat look edible but it was not. I took about 2 bites and 5 drinks of water to wash it down. I tossed the rest. Ah well, live and learn.

DSCN0038.jpg

I hope you all had a good weekend. Even with my failure it was still fun being out in the yard cooking. Can't beat that.

Bummer JT, even stuffed it was too dry? That is a sad thing indeed.

Bummer. Good PRON though!
I struck out yesterday with crab stuffed mushrooms. The crab had too much moisture and soaked the shrooms. Yummy, gooey mushrooms! Oh well, next week will be better....

That's a shame, but it happens to all of us at one time or another (and another and another for me :-D).

I'm more interested in the camera story. Did I miss it? :becky:

that sucks. The apple stuffing sounds very intriguing. I used red, yellow peppers and feta cheese once.

anyway, that bites. I wonder how your stuffing would be in pork shoulder?

EDIT

yeah i wanna here bout the camera story

Thanks everybody. I never posted anything about the melted camera. One picture of steak on RO lump was probably okay but after the 5th or 6th pic trying to get that perfect shot I ended up killing it. That was early last year so I went a loooong time without any pron posts.

It happens and it hurts but we've all been there... Pick yourself up and get back on that pit! Klose pits rock.

Thats to bad, but when I screw something up [ more then I like to admit ] it always ends up as chili meat

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've screwed up a perfectly raw piece of meat. But I will say that the tortoise approach to que will always beat the hare IMO. My que is usually very good, but that's not good enough for me. Myself, and a lot of brethern here, are never satisfied with their que, no matter how good it is. So IMO it's a constant to-and-fro process...try this, try that, see what works. Cooking is part art, part science so we're expected (and allowed) to screw up on occasion. That's part of the fun.

Maybe a big pan of water in the cooker next time you try that cut of meat?

That's a notoriously hard cut to render moist with a dry heat. Still, didn't look too bad to me.

Maybe a big pan of water in the cooker next time you try that cut of meat?

That's a notoriously hard cut to render moist with a dry heat. Still, didn't look too bad to me.

I agree. A loin is very lean and does not have much fat. A water pan strategically placed in your smoker would definitely help.

Injecting probably would have helped too. Would make sure it didn't dry out.

180!!!!!

Dave Klose called and told me I should pick up the Pit due to Pork Abuse...

Sometimes I add water to the bottom of the pit when I do ribs. I didn't do that for this cook because I was using lump. I need to stay with sticks from now on, it's so much easier. The loin I cooked was only half so I have the other half in the freezer now. I'm debating trying again on the Klose or in my kettle with a drip pan below. Choices choices! Thanks for the tips.

Back