• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Catering for 125

southside66

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a gig catering for 125 people and they want Pork and chicken..How much of each would you cook???

Have you ever done this before?

125 people eating both? Are they coming back for second?

80 lbs of butt (pre cook weight)
60 lbs of chicken quarters

This is what I’d do.

Key questions: Crowd makeup- #of adults, teenagers(eat a lot), elderly, small kids. What sides (heavy or light) and how many? Controlled portions- staff or serve yourself? What size buns? - sounds dumb, but if they provide huge buns, people will fill them and use up more meat.

the plates also play a role if it is not served. People fill their plates to capacity and will waste a lot. many moving parts. What is the customers expectation.

It's a wedding, so I'm assuming more Adults the kids. This will strictly be a cook and drop off. They will be serving themselves. The sides are gonna be Mac and cheese, beans and slaw with Hawaiian Rolls. This is not my first time but usually just cook butts instead of chicken. I really didn't know if they would expect 125 leg quarters.

78lbs of raw pork and 1 piece of chicken (cut legs and thigh separating the drumstick from the thigh to make 2pc) per person so 63 leg quarters cut in half.

Catering...........

I usually figure about a pound of uncooked weight per person for a mostly adult crowd. Sides usually figure about a gallon of each side for every 30-35 people.

I have cooked for as many as 350, but the company functions I usually did were more like 150 to 180 people. These numbers usually worked out a little long but never short..............no unhappy people....LOL.

Good luck.

woody

There are several catering calculators floating around. I use the one from Oakridge (just do a google search for 'oakridge catering calculator' and it pops right up)

Used it for a 100 person event last weekend and it was spot on for the meats and the sides. This group was filled with rather large eaters, and most of the kids ate portions larger than I'd make for myself. That said, I had a tiny bit leftover, so even with an ample crowd, this had me covered.

Pork butt or pork loin? What cuts of chicken are you thinking? Usually when people request chicken it's for folks that are picky eaters or folks that want a lighter meal.

The best tip I can give is to have the meats at the end of the serving line. For 125 you can probably get away with two meat handlers pulling pork (or slicing loin) and keeping the chicken stocked in the serving trays.

There are several catering calculators floating around. I use the one from Oakridge (just do a google search for 'oakridge catering calculator' and it pops right up)

Used it for a 100 person event last weekend and it was spot on for the meats and the sides. This group was filled with rather large eaters, and most of the kids ate portions larger than I'd make for myself. That said, I had a tiny bit leftover, so even with an ample crowd, this had me covered.

Glad to see that old thing is still getting some use!

:thumb: :thumb:

I hadn't seen that calculator before, that's really slick. And timely. We just got asked to cater a 125 person event.

Back