Hasty Bake vs WSCG

GalenaRoss

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm in the market for a new grill and just looking to have something that's pretty versatile and will last. The last grill I had was a Performer that was somehow destroyed by the movers. In a previous life, I had a BGE and DCS Built-In.

I've been all over the place and internet as far as what to buy. I was originally thinking about getting a gas grill since I have 3 little kids. I wanted something easy but I'm just not sure I really want gas.

So that's let me down the rabbit hole of all these options between pellet and charcoal. So many choices and I narrowed down to a few options and wanted to know your guys thoughts on these grills. From what I've read on here, I probably can't go wrong with any of them but is there anything that makes one of them stand out in your opinion.

As of today (because I change my mind daily), I'm leaning towards getting the WSCG.

Yesterday, I was pretty sure it was going to be a Hasty Bake SS Legacy or Gourmet Pro since they are on sale for Xmas for 15% off.

Other charcoal grill I looked at was the PK360 but not sure if that'll be too small for a family of 5. When I started this whole exercise I thought that I'd do a pellet grill and found the Yoder 640 but not sure I want to just toss pellets in and click a dial to set the temperature. Although there is something to be said about the ease of doing that.

Thanks guys!
Man without a grill

Welcome to the Brethren, Doug!

Just my 2 cents.

I owned a HB for about a year… a Gourmet 256. Sold it because it was not what I was hoping for. Not all will agree, but IMO the construction is paper thin and they leak air like crazy leading to poor temp control (the venting is a joke). Again, just my opinion.

As far as charcoal, I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the WSCG. Did you enjoy cooking on your BGE? I don’t think the WSCG is gonna be much different… so if you liked one, you’ll probably feel the same about the other and vice versa.

Busy with lil kids… I totally get that. I have cooked on many cookers over the years, and for me the pellet cooker has been the best thing yet. Ease of use and consistent results have more or less turned me into a pellet head.

It’s tough I know… there are soooooo many choices.

What are your top 3 priorities in a new cooker?

Thanks for the replies. That's what I've read about the HB that makes me think it might be difficult for me to get a hang of and I want to get this purchase right.

I'll mostly be cooking the usual direct heat things during the week and then I'd like to be able to cook ribs, whole birds, pork, etc when I have more time. I don't see myself doing overnight cooks on this but if I somehow find myself younger and with more time, it'd be a nice option.

I did like the BGE but it could be a pain to get lit, get to temp and I had some damage to it. I can see my son running into it and knocking it over and causing a disaster. It seems like the Weber is much easier to control from what I've read and I wouldn't need to worry about some little person breaking the grill.

Here's my top 3 things:
1) Easy to start and get to temp
2) Well-built and will last a long time
3) Easy to maintain and replace items if they break. I'd prefer to have something that doesn't have much that can break and that's why I kinda stopped looking at pellet grills.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I've read about the HB that makes me think it might be difficult for me to get a hang of and I want to get this purchase right.

I'll mostly be cooking the usual direct heat things during the week and then I'd like to be able to cook ribs, whole birds, pork, etc when I have more time. I don't see myself doing overnight cooks on this but if I somehow find myself younger and with more time, it'd be a nice option.

I did like the BGE but it could be a pain to get lit, get to temp and I had some damage to it. I can see my son running into it and knocking it over and causing a disaster. It seems like the Weber is much easier to control from what I've read and I wouldn't need to worry about some little person breaking the grill.

Here's my top 3 things:
1) Easy to start and get to temp
2) Well-built and will last a long time
3) Easy to maintain and replace items if they break. I'd prefer to have something that doesn't have much that can break and that's why I kinda stopped looking at pellet grills.

Although I have to say I have been cooking on pellet cookers for about 5 years now and have yet to be “down” because of a mechanical/electronic issue… it does sound like you’re leaning towards the WSCG… which I think would meet your top 3 priorities quite well. And the size is more than perfect for your family and some light to medium entertaining.

I have had my Summit Kamado for about a year and am very happy with it. No complaints with the construction or the time it takes to get to temp. I haven't touched my 22 kettle since I got it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a PK360 and a family of five. I have never had an issue fitting what I need to on the grill. When I got the PK I thought I would miss the extra space of my Weber 26, but the PK has worked great.

Every grill you mentioned you are considering is great. I don’t think you can make a wrong choice with any of them.

Weber 26 and don’t look back.Oh,use lump if you want good vittles.

I used to have a BGE, but I have since upgraded to the Lone Star Grillz 24x48 adjustable grill and smoker, https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/grills/products/24-x-48-adjustable-charcoal-grill. If you want a cooker that can do it all and then some, this is it. It can grill, direct and indirect, pit barrel style (high above the coals direct), and offset style low-n-slow. 2 independent fire boxes give it incredible versatility and will hold super steady temperatures with ease. And it can run one briquettes, lump, or splits. Use a torch to get it the fire started and you can have it up to temp in no time. Plenty of room to cook for parties, but easy enough to configure for the weeknight family dinner. Definitely worth the money and

We have a MAK ,Hasty Bake Gourmet and Weber summit and others. We use those three the most. You do have to seal the Hasty Bake to get good control IMHO. Which we have done. The movable fire grate of the Hasty Bake is real nice. The Weber summit is very frugal with charcoal we have a Fireboard on ours with a bbq guru fan. KJ accessories fit mostly . The soapstone is my favorite. The MAK gets the most use. It’s easy fast and convenient.The MAK we cook on the most is serial# 186 over ten years old.

Back