MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:05 AM   #1
DarkStar11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Orlando, FL

Any suggestions for food (not just 'que, any type) in or around Orlando? We won't be going to any Disney properties, though I've heard there are some surprisingly great restaurants there.

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

PM TC Smoke and Q He seems to go to the Disney Orlando area regularly
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Whatever you do, don't let them convince you that the food at the naval training facility is good! My Company Commander down there said that the food we're served won't be tasting like your mother's, she cooks all the nutrients out of it, so the food you get here is going to be crunchy, but it's going to be full of nutrients. And they wonder why I didn't reenlist.
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

For a decent burger.
https://www.fordsgarageusa.com/locations/kissimmee/

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #5
DarkStar11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

We just came back today, so I didn't get to hit Ford's Garage - but will make a point to next time around! It looks great!

Here are my brief notes in the event they may be useful to future travelers.

Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ - got the brisket & pulled pork combo with mac & cheese, beans, coleslaw, and Texas toast. The brisket was terrible. Had no smoke flavor at all, was tough and stringy, and a very tiny amount of beef for the price of the plate. The pulled pork was pretty decent, had good flavor and was moist. The sides were not good.

Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Billed as a NC BBQ place, so I got the pulled pork sandwich with slaw and mac & cheese. The sandwich was pretty good - better pork than Bubbalou's. Sort of expensive for a pork sandwich with one side ($14).

Beth's Burger Bar - pretty decent local place. Not the best burger ever but better than 5 Guys, Smashburger, Mooyah, etc.

NYPD Pizza - very good NY pizza. Pasta dishes were just okay.

Ciao Italia Ristorante - family-owned traditional Italian restaurant. It's better than any higher-end Italian restaurant I've eaten at in Dallas, but not as good as several in Chicago, NY/NJ, and Baltimore.

Thai Thanni Thai - this was the best food on the trip. Amazing staff, killer food, and a spectacular environment. I had the Tiger Tear beef and may have involuntarily drooled a little after the first bite. I'd travel back to Orlando just to eat here again.

Regarding the BBQ - it reminded me how fortunate I am to live in North TX with a ton of good options around. And the ability to make some okay stuff in my own back yard. The prices seemed higher, too - not just for BBQ, but for everything. Groceries were higher, gas was higher. Maybe it's just Orlando on the food, but gas prices were the same between Orlando and Tampa - and a good $.20 - .30+/gallon higher than TX.

If you happen to be in Orlando and want a small escape, the Tibet-Butler Nature Preserve is very close by, very quiet, has a few short and very easy trails.

I'll try to post a few pics if any are decent and I get around to it.

Last edited by DarkStar11; 12-19-2021 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: typos
DarkStar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Glad you had a great time. Sorry, I didn't see this, but I got to Orlando often. For BBQ I like 4 Rivers and the though on Disney Property (Disney Springs) the Polite Pig. Big Fire at Universal City Walk is awesome as well with the best Whiskey collection I've ever seen.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote