• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

3 best steak houses in NY City

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just got done watching YT 3 best steak houses in NYC.
First being Delmonicos, would be there in a heart beat.
Peter Luger, owner calls the NY Strip opposite the filet a "SIRLION", idiot.
Keens, stupid expensive, and they also call the non-filet piece the "SIRLION", am I stupid or just un-informed? Porterhouse for two $130, lettuce wedge $16, plus $5 for bacon and chopped tomatoes.
Guess I'll just stay local.
Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLrhA53zn6E

We've been to Peter Lugers a couple of times in our travels. It is undoubtedly expensive, but we both agreed it was worth every penny. Every steak I've had since, was compared to that one.

I believe the NY Strip comes from the sirloin section of the cow.

Keens, stupid expensive, and they also call the non-filet piece the "SIRLION", am I stupid or just un-informed? Porterhouse for two $130, lettuce wedge $16, plus $5 for bacon and chopped tomatoes.
Ed

I wouldn’t eat there every week, but it would probably be a good place to take your wife to for a special treat if you are in town.

The best comment I saw on that video was “Feels like I’m watching two non smokers reviewing best cigars.(SMH)”

Find a local butcher that sells prime meats and fire up your grill and make it yourself.

Ed

Well, in my part of the wide wide world of beef cuts.... a T-bone and Porterhouse come from the short loin, which is to the rear of the rib section. Some refer to the strip portion of a T-Bone or Porterhouse as simply the "striploin" or just the "loin" which is okay (just like it's okay to call the tenderloin the fillet).

Center cut pork chops are the equivalent to a T-bone/Porterhouse, loin on one side of the (T) bone, and tenderloin on the other side. They are to the rear of rib chops.

Maybe the dude in the video got tongue tied?

If you don't know then maybe you should not refer to him as being an idiot.. N.Y. Strip comes from the short loin of a cow.

Aba, Nigeria, is never in the news because there aren't any hotels there good enough for celeb journalists. Likewise, places like Roscoe, TX, never make the culinary news, and for the same reason. Peter Luger is great, no doubt, but I'd like to Star Trek-beam a few highfalutin food critics straight from their candles-and-leather dining rooms in NYC or Chicago, forks in hand, to some steak houses in west Texas far from an interstate or even a Motel 6.

Lists would change.

I've been to Peter Luger's Brooklyn location, pricey, but excellent.

Find a local butcher that dry ages steak, or learn to do it yourself. Totally awesome.

I've been to quite a few steakhouses and generally they just remind me of conspicuous consumption. Seldom worth the price they charge. So I almost never order steak in a restaurant because I can make a great steak at home with ease. Prime rib maybe, but very seldom steak.

These 'best _____ in _____" lists are just kind of insulting to the many chefs out there producing great dishes.

Has anyone been to Gallagher's on W. 52nd?

Looking for a steakhouse near Boadway/Times Square

If you don't know then maybe you should not refer to him as being an idiot.. N.Y. Strip comes from the short loin of a cow.

Porterhouse
This particular portion of steak is cut from the lower rib section of the cow, which lies close to the rear end, or loin. Because the porterhouse is cut from the junction of the tenderloin and top loin, it delivers a mouthwatering combination of tender, succulent filet mignon and rich, flavorful New York strip.

Sirloin
The sirloin steak is a steak cut from the back of the animal. In US butchery, the steak is cut from the rear back portion of the animal, continuing off the short loin from which T-bone, porterhouse, and club steaks are cut.

Yes sirloin comes from the "bad" end of the short loin. I never in my life heard the non-filet portion of the T-bone/Porterhouse called anything but a NY strip.
Ed

I've heard the NY Strip called that before somewhere. I did some googling and in the UK, I think they call it that. Maybe they are trying to sound fancy.

Back