speedrcer1

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hi All,
A Good Friday Fish Dinner!
Cooked on a Kettle with the coals centered in 2 baskets
Very nice and fresh
P4220001.jpg
A variety of seasonings, I love that El Capitan. Meant for tri-tip. Works very well on many things.
P4220002.jpg
Planked up
P4220003.jpg
P4220004.jpg
P4220006.jpg
P4220007.jpg
P4220008.jpg
P4220009.jpg
P4220010.jpg
Nice smoke
P4220011.jpg
P4220012.jpg
Done, I apologize for the poor final quality. But it was time to eat!
P4220013.jpg
Thank you for looking.
A happy Easter to all.
:thumb:

That's an honor coming from you!
Thanks!

Well...not quite,I'm a rookie!:redface:
Was it easy to remove the salmon from the plank?
It looks like you have skin on the salmon.
I've done planked salmon only once and the skin helped to remove the salmon from the plank easily.

IMG_3498.jpg

I soaked the planks for about 2 hours pre-cook. I cut the fish on the plank with a pizza cutter and used a spatula to lift it off. Skin came up fine.

Phube - I gotta expand your knowledge of feesh here: that steelhead is an ocean-going trout. Almost a salmon, but not quite. LOOKS the same, but the meat is more delicate, IMO. There, I feel better! :laugh:

Don, that was some serious pr0n, brother!! EXCELLENT coverage of a great-looking cook. Shoot, you might have even edumacated someone on cooking on a plank. Who knows? Thanks!

Arlin

Wife has been after me to figure out how to cook her salmon on a plank. You've just given me the motivation to figure it out. Nice pics.

Wife has been after me to figure out how to cook her salmon on a plank. You've just given me the motivation to figure it out. Nice pics.

Planking Steelhead is a great method as it significantly widens the margin for error...same with salmon.

Give it a whirl you'll love it.

Fabulous looking fish and PRoN!
Maybe I missed it, but what grill temp do you run at for a plank and how long for that beautiful steelhead to get done?

Fabulous looking fish and PRoN!
Maybe I missed it, but what grill temp do you run at for a plank and how long for that beautiful steelhead to get done?
Thanks,
I cooked it on a kettle. With a full chimney started in the center in 2 baskets. I I have 2/3 air inlets permanently closed as I normally use an iQUE temp controller. But I was planning on not using it. But I could not get it hot enough (not enough air through the one inlet) So I quickly hooked it up and set it to 325.

So to answer your time/temp Q, at 325 for about 20 mins including the time I was a little cool.

Phube - I gotta expand your knowledge of feesh here: that steelhead is an ocean-going trout. Almost a salmon, but not quite. LOOKS the same, but the meat is more delicate, IMO. There, I feel better! :laugh:

Don, that was some serious pr0n, brother!! EXCELLENT coverage of a great-looking cook. Shoot, you might have even edumacated someone on cooking on a plank. Who knows? Thanks!

Arlin

My bad!
You're right about the Phlavour...I had some last winter in Belgium,very tasty!

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

Back