MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
SpaceDude
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Brad
Default Texas Roadtrip suggestions

Hi all,

I ended up winning an auction for a car located in Corpus Christi and will be flying there and driving it back to Albuquerque tomorrow.

Any suggestions for BBQ restaurants or supply stores along the way? It looks like my route has be taking a lot of off-interstate roads. Roughly I-37 to San Antonio, I-10 to Junction, Hwy 83/84 through Lubbock to the NM border.

So far all I've got pinned into Google Maps is Smolik's Smokehouse in Mathis. Any other suggestions along my route or worth a reasonable detour? In addition to filling my belly for every meal, I'd also love to fill the trunk with some post oak - it's hard to come by in New Mexico!

Thanks!
Brad
SpaceDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Texas Monthly BBQ is a great resource. They have the joints categorized by region somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Here's a start though:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/category/bbq/review/

maybe try a search and filter by location:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/?s=bbq
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:26 AM   #3
rmr24
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : MR

Evie Mae’s in Wolfforth (just outside Lubbock). Open Wednesday-Saturday 11:00am to sale out. Check their Facebook page for updates.
rmr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 AM   #4
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

I found this an interesting site : The Texas Bucket List
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheTexasBucketList/videos
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
SpaceDude
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Brad

Thanks everybody for the links and suggestions! I’m looking forward to the drive!
SpaceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : G-man

We enjoyed Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs off I-10 (near Six Flags - Fiesta Texas). Billed as "the worst bbq in Texas" :) meat is placed on paper lined tray with sliced bread and other side dishes in small containers. When I lived there, they shoveled burning oak coals from a fire pit and distributed it directly underneath the various meat offerings in the smoking pit. It was originally a gas station with indoor and outdoor picnic style seating, they now have a few franchise locations. My friends in San Antonio still recommend it along with Smoke Shack BBQ on Mulberry St.

Smoke Shack is not a far detour from your route, was featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, and has won some local awards.

You will see some of the Texas Hill Country between San Antonio and Junction, with the most beautiful parts slightly west of your intended route.

I would suggest the Mexican food but.....New Mexico......you probably get plenty. However, if you are a connoisseur, there are probably style differences, as San Antonio has predominately northern Mexico style dishes, as well as good ol' Tex-Mex.

Sounds like a fun trip.
oldgfbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
Texas Hogger
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Cooper's in Junction is pretty good.
Ugly Betty (Extremely Ugly Drum)
Tex (Substantially less Ugly Drum)

You Gotta Try What I'm Smokin
Texas Hogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is a new place in Seguin named the Burnt Bean that is really good. It’s been getting a ton of press in the state. They are open Thur-Sat from 11-3 or sold out, and open on Sunday at 8 AM with breakfast. Plan on waiting in line, but worth it.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Looks like the most direct route takes you thru San Antonio. Central Market is in Luling just to the East and just North from there is Lockhart and four of the best BBQ Joints in Texas.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #10
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

San Antonio go to Pinkertons or 2M

Lubbock go to Evie Mae's

on my youtube channel I have a video review of EM. Link is in my signature.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote