MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #7486
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
BK,

The dynamics change when the PBC is loaded. Dare I say that's the only drawback of the PBC? 2-3 slabs or 2 halved chickens for example and she chugs along just fine. Now, when I loaded it to 3/4 full or full capacity, that's where I experienced the exact symptoms you described. Most people don't load up the PBC with multiple cuts of meat or 8 ribs so it works just fine. IMO, a lot more meat to cook and finish times were extended significantly when loaded. Also, with a packed barrel there are a lot more drippings which in my experience extinguished the fire so I had to rotate the basket halfway through and at times pull off the rebars. A lot more mass so it needs a lot more energy to pull off the cook is how I look at it. It still does the job but takes longer and there is more involvement.
Thanks! I feel like I always load it up pretty significantly, however. Pork butt on one side, three racks hanging on the open grate side. I haven't done a cook without a grate inside in ages though...maybe the rib drippings worked to put the fire out a bit on the backside. It wasn't very breezy and I rotated the intake a little bit out of direct wind since my cook the week before saw the wind pick up while I was out on a run and really ramp up the temp.

I moved to a new place here in Long Beach. Same area but just different dynamics in regards to the wind and how it hits the barrel. I'll have to keep a better eye on it but I am concerned about smoke leaking out of the lid as I never had this issue in the past.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #7487
dcimike125
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
I'm a bad PBC owner. Went to use my barrel today for the first time in weeks if not months and it was full of mold. In a panic I texted Noah and he called me back in two minutes. First thing he said was I was guilty of not using my PBC enough; I got a good chuckle out of that. He walked me through how to burn off the mold and so hopefully that work in time for tonight's cook. An amazing quality product with next to non customer service you can't beat the Pit Barrel
Not that I have that problem (yet) but could you post Noah's instructions? Sometimes its easier to do a search than to pick up a phone
Smoker Inspector for the good of man

Brisketologist , Doctor of Brisketology (Ph.B)
Pit Barrel Cooker (Chesty Puller)
OK Joe Highland (Black Throated Wind)
Weber 22" Kettle (Ma Kettle)
Yeti cooler stocked with Miller High Life
dcimike125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #7488
dcimike125
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Mold = Flavor?
Bleu Cheese Brisket or Antibiotic Ribs anyone?
Smoker Inspector for the good of man

Brisketologist , Doctor of Brisketology (Ph.B)
Pit Barrel Cooker (Chesty Puller)
OK Joe Highland (Black Throated Wind)
Weber 22" Kettle (Ma Kettle)
Yeti cooler stocked with Miller High Life
dcimike125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #7489
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

By the way...just a point of order...

Welocme to page 500 of the PBC thread!

Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #7490
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Has anyone had their lid not seem to seal properly out of the blue? I haven't dropped the lid or banged the barrel around. I use it regularly and keep it covered.

I've been getting real uneven burns the last two times out where the half of the basket closest to the intake pretty much burns out while the back half isn't really lit. Had to stick my hand in there and rotate the basket around on Saturday or it seemed like the fire would have died. Haven't adjusted the intake in over a year and I'm lighting it the same way as I always have.

I'm now noticing smoke coming out of the lid. If I move the lid more to one side, the smoke will stop coming out where it was but instead leak out somewhere else. Don't think this is what is causing the bad burn pattern, but it's just started up at the same time. Last few cooks have had people remark that it doesn't taste as smoky...maybe just a coincidence as well but she ain't just chugging along easy like she used to.

Six racks of ribs were on for seven (!) hours on Saturday. I wound up taking the rebar out with three racks hanging on each and flipping them so the rack in the back could get some more of the heat closer to the intake. Regardless, I'm usually a five hour rib guy since I think I run my barrel a little lower temp wise but this is taking it too far. Two of the racks even needed more time in the smoker but I had to pull them since it was time to leave the house for the night.
I too have been getting an uneven burn in my PBC. Like you, the side closest to the intake burns fully. I go out the next morning and the other side still has plenty of burned coal. Very odd as nothing has changed in regard to the barrel.
Av8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #7491
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
By the way...just a point of order...

Welocme to page 500 of the PBC thread!

And you still haven't overtaken the 4th place thread post spot!

Just kiddin.....I appreciate all the help you've provided while I've been "away". I don't see an end in my situation any time soon so keep taking care of these folks brother!
Again I appreciate you being a big part of keeping this thread active!
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #7492
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

I'm workin on it. Only 50 away now.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #7493
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

By the way.... I was thinking. When I joined this thread and got my PBC it was about a year and a half ago and the thread was only ~250 pages or so. I read ALL of them when I was thinking of buying and right after I ordered...

It would be really hard for someone to get through all 500 pages now. Andrew, Sako, Bob, Thingfish and I should put together a single document...like the Bandera 101. Most common issues, mods, fixes, how to half basket cook, raise the charcoal basket, lump vs kbb vs RO. You get the idea. Everyone could contribute.

Then someone doesn't have to read all 500 pages. We could just post the info somewhere.

Thoughts?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #7494
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
By the way.... I was thinking. When I joined this thread and got my PBC it was about a year and a half ago and the thread was only ~250 pages or so. I read ALL of them when I was thinking of buying and right after I ordered...

It would be really hard for someone to get through all 500 pages now. Andrew, Sako, Bob, Thingfish and I should put together a single document...like the Bandera 101. Most common issues, mods, fixes, how to half basket cook, raise the charcoal basket, lump vs kbb vs RO. You get the idea. Everyone could contribute.

Then someone doesn't have to read all 500 pages. We could just post the info somewhere.

Thoughts?
Not a bad idea. I know a lot of stuff gets repeated here. If a document were made I wonder if it could be attached to our signature? If so a few of us could attach it to our sig and refer people to download and read it from there.
I don't think creating another thread for the document would be a good idea because I think it'll cause newer people to post in that thread instead of here and essentially it could create 2 PBC threads...
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #7495
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Another option would be create a document with the common topics and questions. Post it here and create a link to the post in our signature. That would work I think....
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #7496
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Ok...so I'm the idea guy. Anyone want to take a stab at a first draft??

Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #7497
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Turkey Pastrami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
Sounds like you have a pastrami plan, SS13 ... be sure to let us know how it turns out (and pics, pics, pics)!
Well it cooked beautifully although in the beginning 1/2 my basket of coals seemed to kind of go out so I added a 1/4 chimney of hot coals in and then temps were better.

I have not tasted it just yet other than a small flap of meat that I hung and the of the hook. It was really good. I'll share cut pics a little later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171120_210648.jpg (81.0 KB, 211 views)
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #7498
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS13 View Post
Well it cooked beautifully although in the beginning 1/2 my basket of coals seemed to kind of go out so I added a 1/4 chimney of hot coals in and then temps were better.

I have not tasted it just yet other than a small flap of meat that I hung and the of the hook. It was really good. I'll share cut pics a little later.
more pics

tastes delicious. super tender, great flavor. I can taste the sweetness of brown sugar, which balances nicely the bite of pepper and coriander.

Last edited by SS13; 11-21-2017 at 09:03 AM..
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #7499
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

I need PBC expert help from you guys please -

Doing a 14lb turkey and a 6lb costco half ham in the PBC, and I need to figure out the timing so I can get both done about the same time. I thought I'd start the turkey for an hour first (figure about 3 hours total for it), and then start the little boneless ham (about 2 hours I'm guessing for this). What do you suggest?

Old 11-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #7500
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post
I need PBC expert help from you guys please -

Doing a 14lb turkey and a 6lb costco half ham in the PBC, and I need to figure out the timing so I can get both done about the same time. I thought I'd start the turkey for an hour first (figure about 3 hours total for it), and then start the little boneless ham (about 2 hours I'm guessing for this). What do you suggest?

I think your timing sounds about right. The ham would stay hot for a long time wrapped in towel/cooler so if you got it done early that wouldn't be too big of a deal.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it