• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Workhorse Pits

IndyBigKat

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has received their pit ordered from Workhorse. I know that there were a few folks scheduled to have delivery in January/February. How has it been communicating with them? Have they been proactive in sharing delays and updates? There was a lot of excitement around this startup company but seems to have gone silent.

There have been some post-delivery cooks in various threads after the first of the year. With Coronavirus throwing everything up in the air with discretionary purchases being put off due to lost jobs and general economic uncertainty, I'm not really surprised we haven't seen a lot of new traffic on them at this point.

Workhorse and Primitive Pits may be separate companies but, they have the same owner and almost the same physical address. :wink:

There have been some post-delivery cooks in various threads after the first of the year. With Coronavirus throwing everything up in the air with discretionary purchases being put off due to lost jobs and general economic uncertainty, I'm not really surprised we haven't seen a lot of new traffic on them at this point.

Workhorse and Primitive Pits may be separate companies but, they have the same owner and almost the same physical address. :wink:

I’ll have to search a little harder because I wasn’t able to locate an post delivery cooks (on here anyway). I do follow one fella on IG that has one, but was looking for more from the folks on here that ordered well before the virus hit us. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll have to search a little harder because I wasn’t able to locate an post delivery cooks (on here anyway). I do follow one fella on IG that has one, but was looking for more from the folks on here that ordered well before the virus hit us. Thanks for the info!

Though I'm no longer in the market for a stick burner, I'd really like to see a dedicated Workhorse Pit thread with some cooks and glamour shots. Since I scored my Evie Mae to go with my Shirley, I'm good for most things now. I'm still interested in seeing Workhorse and Primitive Pit builds and cooks along with Austin Smokeworks, Moberg and, the other usual suspects like Millscale and a couple of others that escape me at the moment, especially the smaller ~250-gallon propane tank builds.

My 1957 Workhorse (smallest version) was delivered just about a month ago - right before all hell broke loose. I've only had time to season it and then smoke a rack of spare ribs. This is my first stickburner - so take this with a thousand grains of salt - but I've been incredibly happy with it for the first few trial runs. I ordered it in August - with delivery date originally scheduled for mid-January. I talked to their team a couple of times and it just seemed like they got a ton of early orders and delivery got pushed back. They always emailed back almost immediately when I asked for updates, etc. Happy to provide any specifics if you have questions.

Hey Crash. Would love to see some detailed pics if you were able to provide them. I've emailed Ashley and JD a couple of times and interested in a 1975 but haven't seen any good detail shots to push me over the edge.

Bubba- No problem at all. Anything specific you're interested in on the Workhorse I can take a pic of? I was able to get in a second smoke yesterday - a Texas style pork butt (I just wanted to see if I could really build up some bark on a pork butt w/ S&P - something I could never do on my propane smoker which is no surprise). Turned out terrific, completely different result (kinda felt like an actual BBQ guy for the first time).

I know every newbie asks this, but how do I post pics in this forum? Just tried to do it the "usual" way and it asked for a URL, so obviously I'm off base. Greatly appreciate a "how to" link. Thanks.

Bubba- No problem at all. Anything specific you're interested in on the Workhorse I can take a pic of? I was able to get in a second smoke yesterday - a Texas style pork butt (I just wanted to see if I could really build up some bark on a pork butt w/ S&P - something I could never do on my propane smoker which is no surprise). Turned out terrific, completely different result (kinda felt like an actual BBQ guy for the first time).

I know every newbie asks this, but how do I post pics in this forum? Just tried to do it the "usual" way and it asked for a URL, so obviously I'm off base. Greatly appreciate a "how to" link. Thanks.

So you need to host them some place usually. Easiest place is imgur.com. And if you're on a PC browser, if you upload a pic to imgur, there are links on the right that give you the syntax which looks something like this:

img*] but without that asterisk at the end. I just put that in there so you can kinda see what the syntax looks like. But imgur can copy that to your clipboard if you want, after uploading.

Thanks. Certainly would like pics of the firebox and interior pics of the cook chamber. Really just anything. Very limited in the flesh pics that I’ve seen. Do you manage the fire by propping open the firebox door or does the intake draw well enough that you can keep the door closed during cooking?

Wow - that is a HUGE photo. Sorry about that, I'll get the hang of it (any way to size these things?). I'll get spec pics out to you early this week. Re: Intake - I haven't found it to be a problem at all. Most of the time the door is shut with the daisy wheel wide open and it draws really well. When I do need to open the door it's almost always operator error - I screwed up and lost the temp and need to bring it back. I went with a couple of the add-ons that, and it's still early days, I probably wouldn't do again. I just don't cook in huge quantities, so the top shelf is nice to have but I've already put it away in the garage. Also, the cowboy grate in the fire box seemed like a cool idea, but not sure when I'll actually use it. I will say that the propane line to fire it up at the start has been really nice to have. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll get those pics out shortly.

At the bottom of the reply window click "go Advance " it will take you to a new screen. scroll down and you will se a button " manage Attachments" click that it will open a window to browse your pc.

Attachments

• 20200222_091847.jpg
    20200222_091847.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,413
Bubba- Here are those pics of my 1957. Fingers crossed I did this rights...

Attachments

• IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,369
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,365
  • IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,387
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,397
  • IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,352
  • IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,363
  • IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,369
Wow - that is a HUGE photo. Sorry about that, I'll get the hang of it (any way to size these things?). I'll get spec pics out to you early this week. Re: Intake - I haven't found it to be a problem at all. Most of the time the door is shut with the daisy wheel wide open and it draws really well. When I do need to open the door it's almost always operator error - I screwed up and lost the temp and need to bring it back. I went with a couple of the add-ons that, and it's still early days, I probably wouldn't do again. I just don't cook in huge quantities, so the top shelf is nice to have but I've already put it away in the garage. Also, the cowboy grate in the fire box seemed like a cool idea, but not sure when I'll actually use it. I will say that the propane line to fire it up at the start has been really nice to have. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll get those pics out shortly.

I don't have a Workhorse pit, but I would thin that Cowboy grate in the firebox would be perfect for reverse searing steaks. Throw them in the main chamber and then let rest for 10-15 minutes when you're ready to sear, your fire is already going.

I don't have a Workhorse pit, but I would thin that Cowboy grate in the firebox would be perfect for reverse searing steaks. Throw them in the main chamber and then let rest for 10-15 minutes when you're ready to sear, your fire is already going.

The way the firebox door opens on this workhorse is especially nice for the final step of the cook. I do something similar on my Shirley and it’s really hard to beat. I’ve got the warmer/vertical cabinet over my firebox so I have to improvise (slide my firebox out and throw a Webber grate or grill grate) to sear over the coals. Actually this works great for Tritip, Chuck roast chicken or on anything you want to add a little crisp at the end.

Those workhorses have such a cool old school look going on too. Nice smoker!

That's a good looking pit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really appreciate it Crash. Exactly what I was looking for. Will trade another email with JD and see if I can't get in line for a 1975. They are about 3 hours away from me so saving on the shipping should save me quite a bit. Appreciate all the detail you provided. Anything you would have done differently?

Great pit, does it come with a shelf/baffle in the cook chamber directly above the firebox opening?

I cannot believe that I totally overlooked the reverse sear using the cowboy grate. I’m doing tri-tip this weekend and that never even occurred to me - was going to finish it on my gasser. Being a rookie sucks sometimes. So....smoke it to 105-110, let it rest 10-15 minutes, and then sear it in the firebox to 135? Does that sound about right?

Really appreciate it Crash. Exactly what I was looking for. Will trade another email with JD and see if I can't get in line for a 1975. They are about 3 hours away from me so saving on the shipping should save me quite a bit. Appreciate all the detail you provided. Anything you would have done differently?

Bubba- I'm still not sure I need the top shelf - but I'm going to "biscuit test" it in a few weeks so maybe I'll learn about hotspots, etc. I retract my earlier statement about not using the cowboy grate (reverse sear :doh:) The propane assist starter is awesome (apologies, the Californian in me can't help it) - not sure if that's frowned upon but I don't care - that thing works amazing.

I guess my only advice is to set expectations with delivery. The pit itself is terrific, but it took several inquiries re: timing of delivery. Again, they were always totally responsive - including an email from JD - but mid Jan became February - became March - etc. So as long as you know that from the outset, no problem.

Back