Rub recipes

sparkmonkey

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
New member so don't have access to the recipes yet. Scrolling through looking for rub ideas. Usually i purchase a commercial rub but want to start making my own. i prefer my ribs dry and my wife likes em sauced. i'd like a little heat and that would go well with whatever sauce she picks. She usually uses honey bbq, I'm not a fan of too much sweet.

Any good starting recipes? Something i can try and mod as i learn?

I found a rub called "Mild bubba Q rub" on another forum that can be googled easily. It's a great base for slightly sweet ribs with a backend bite if you up the cayenne a bit. I had been using this on pork butt, but just did some ribs for some out of town folks and they were a hit. Just sweet enough to compliment, I also do dry ribs so everyone can sauce to their own liking.

ad6b395ced7a67b10e586fd03696faa8.jpg

I thought the commercial rubs were pricey- until I added up the $$ of the tins and small jars of their ingredients. It is cool to make your own rub and tell your friends/family "I made that". Experiment - keep notes with weights/measures - maybe make micro batches until you get it "just right". It may take awhile to hit exactly the taste you are looking for. (I've had more than a few samples I had to toss as "not bad...just not good". I still buy the commercial rubs- they are quick, easy and ready to go without me having to frantically whip something up at the last minute. Good luck.

Back