First cook on the 270 in awhile

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Haven't smoked much this season for a variety of reasons, but needed some smoked turkey for some paninis I wanted to make.

Nice 5 lbs breast with salt, pepper, and menudo chili powder.
zuUqdMsl.jpg

270 preheated. Really have grown to love this cooker.
1t01Uhsl.jpg

After maybe 45 minutes to an hour.
SydM0TTl.jpg

And finished.
m0hcQYkl.jpg

Super smoke flavor, and so much better than deli meat. I'll be using tonight for some honey mustard pepper jack and turkey panini sandwiches. Hopefully I'll remember to take a couple pics of those.

Love your cooker...some day I will own one!!

BTW what is the reason of the two skewers run thru the sides...my guess is to shape the breast a lil better...would kitchen twine do the same?

Love your cooker...some day I will own one!!

BTW what is the reason of the two skewers run thru the sides...my guess is to shape the breast a lil better...would kitchen twine do the same?

You are correct. The skewers just hold it into a more even thickness rectangle. The big ones like this I get are sometimes 4 inches thick on one end, and maybe half inch on the other. I just fold the flap under, and sqaure it up a bit to try to get a uniform thickness. Twine works too, but I started doing it this way awhile back. It works, is quicker, and less messy. Just looks a little crazier.

Turkey looks great, came close to buying a Sumo when up in the DC area for a wedding 2 years ago, really well thought out smoker, to bad 270 doesn't make it anymore.

Turkey looks great, came close to buying a Sumo when up in the DC area for a wedding 2 years ago, really well thought out smoker, to bad 270 doesn't make it anymore.

Get the Hollywood! It's a Sumo that is a little bigger and has other enhancements that make it able to cook hotter.....only $265 more than the Sumo when I bought a few years ago.

Good to see you cooking again, Mr. Tony!

Nice lookin' turkey boob, and cool words on those skewers... was about to ask the exact same thing as SCP.

Hope this finds you well.

Great looking breast! :-D

Pardon my ignorance, but what purpose are the skewers serving?

My wife has asked for turkey breast now that I have a new slicer. Now, I'm inspired. :thumb:

Now, combined for your viewing pleasure. :roll:

The skewers just hold it into a more even thickness rectangle. The big ones like this I get are sometimes 4 inches thick on one end, and maybe half inch on the other. I just fold the flap under, and sqaure it up a bit to try to get a uniform thickness. Twine works too, but I started doing it this way awhile back. It works, is quicker, and less messy. Just looks a little crazier.

My wife has asked for turkey breast now that I have a new slicer. Now, I'm inspired. :thumb:

I have a nice slicer. I usually let it cool overnight in one piece then slice thin the next day. Pay attention to the grain if you do turkey. The grain runs like chicken breast, but because of the size of turkeys it makes a big difference in the way the slice eats when sliced against the grain. It's opposite of what seems natural on a chicken breast.

aMSxqDWl.jpg

Back