MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #601
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
OK here's a pic of the inside of my NEW PBC. The inside was not that black before the cook. If you look at the 2nd picture of the bottom of the PBC, the inside walls looked about like the bottom before I ever used it. What you see is seasoning that's cracking off. This is normal. Sometimes if you don't cook for a few weeks on a cooker you'll notice slight surface rusting. Especially if it's been humid outside. That will usually wipe off fairly easily and what's left will burn off when you cook.

Does this look like what you have uncle drew?

FYI the PBC has a very light porcelain coating on the inside that is purely cosmetic and is to prevent any rusting on the inside should it sit in a retail store for a while. Once you start cooking that coating will get gunked up as the lovely seasoning starts building up.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Last edited by Bob C Cue; 06-10-2015 at 02:17 PM..
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #602
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of the light coating inside. I just know once I cooked on it the walls became very dark from the seasoning of the cook. The pics show some of it cracking off. But I do know that's not paint cracking off....
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #603
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

That makes complete sense to basically have a temporary sheath inside to protect from corrosion before it can be seasoned by the purchaser. (also a cosmetic thing)

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #604
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

So some of you may know I talked a co-worker/friend of mine into buying a PBC a couple months ago. This man never smoked meat prior to buying the PBC so was about as much of a newbie as you can find. His first cook was a brisket flat! Argueably one of the hardest pieces of meat you can cook. He followed Noah's instructions to the T and needless to say he fell in love with the cooker immediately after tasting the brisket. Since then he's been on fire cooking every weekend multiple meat items. He's done ribs, pork butt, chicken, salmon, and the brisket. I haven't been able to talk him into joining us here yet so I figured I'd post a couple things he's cooked. While looking at these pics remember he never smoked before and his grilling experience was all gassers.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 11-24-2015 at 09:49 PM..

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #605
Uncle Drew
Got Wood.

Quote:
OK here's a pic of the inside of my NEW PBC. The inside was not that black before the cook. If you look at the 2nd picture of the bottom of the PBC, the inside walls looked about like the bottom before I ever used it. What you see is seasoning that's cracking off. This is normal. Sometimes if you don't cook for a few weeks on a cooker you'll notice slight surface rusting. Especially if it's been humid outside. That will usually wipe off fairly easily and what's left will burn off when you cook.

Does this look like what you have uncle drew?

Mine blistered, and rubbed away at the touch. I'll have time today to take pictures and call PBC.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #606
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Ok. I'm interested in hearing the outcome! Thanks
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #607
Bob C Cue

Quote:
So some of you may know I talked a co-worker/friend of mine into buying a PBC a couple months ago. This man never smoked meat prior to buying the PBC so was about as much of a newbie as you can find. His first cook was a brisket flat! Argueably one of the hardest pieces of meat you can cook. He followed Noah's instructions to the T and needless to say he fell in love with the cooker immediately after tasting the brisket. Since then he's been on fire cooking every weekend multiple meat items. He's done ribs, pork butt, chicken, salmon, and the brisket. I haven't been able to talk him into joining us here yet so I figured I'd post a couple things he's cooked. While looking at these pics remember he never smoked before and his grilling experience was all gassers.
All look great. Sound like he is happy you convinced him to get one.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast

Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #608
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
All look great. Sound like he is happy you convinced him to get one.
Kinda funny. He's told me several times how much money I've saved him because he likes his ribs, brisket, salmon and chicken better than the restaurants he use to frequent. His wife agrees too. But he told another co-worker that he thinks he loves the PBC more than I do....lol. So yes, he's very happy. It's funny too, he believes everything Noah says about cooking different meats. I've tried to tell him a few different ways to cook some of the meats such as adding a sear to a Tri-Trip at the end of a cook. He doesn't wanna hear it! I think it's great actually but I'm sure he will try some different techniques eventually.
He's a very happy PBC owner that's for sure!
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Old 06-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #609
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Kinda funny. He's told me several times how much money I've saved him because he likes his ribs, brisket, salmon and chicken better than the restaurants he use to frequent. His wife agrees too. But he told another co-worker that he thinks he loves the PBC more than I do....lol. So yes, he's very happy. It's funny too, he believes everything Noah says about cooking different meats. I've tried to tell him a few different ways to cook some of the meats such as adding a sear to a Tri-Trip at the end of a cook. He doesn't wanna hear it! I think it's great actually but I'm sure he will try some different techniques eventually.
He's a very happy PBC owner that's for sure!
You know what happens to people when they ignore Noah's warnings!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #610
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
You know what happens to people when they ignore Noah's warnings!
They are banished to cook in a crock pot for the remained of their life? Lol

Ah I'm sure Noah enjoys seeing different cooking methods used in the PBC. I dont mean altering the PBC I just mean things like wrapping brisket in butcher paper or not wrapping as apposed to foiling it. But I do think it's smart for my friend to follow the videos until he gets use to smoking.
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 06-11-2015 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #611
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Buy enough firebrick splits to make a square big enough for the PBC to be placed on. That should prevent heat getting to your deck.

Congrats on the new house!
Thanks!! I used some bricks to protect my current wood deck, worked great. Just concerned about the durability of the composite.

As a bonus, the wife saw a nice built in grill / island thing at costco and asked why I don't build one. Could be a fun project to work in my different toys

Old 06-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #612
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post
Thanks!! I used some bricks to protect my current wood deck, worked great. Just concerned about the durability of the composite.

As a bonus, the wife saw a nice built in grill / island thing at costco and asked why I don't build one. Could be a fun project to work in my different toys
I like what bodog did here in this post earlier on the thread (post #563) 2nd and 4th pics showing his PBC on his deck... I think he used a decorative brick. I would bet that would block enough heat to protect your composit deck though.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=563
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Last edited by AClarke44; 06-11-2015 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #613
bodog
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I like what bodog did here in this post earlier on the thread (post #563) 2nd and 4th pics showing his PBC on his deck... I think he used a decorative brick. I would bet that would block enough heat to protect your composit deck though.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=563
Thanks, if memory serves me correctly, I bought those for $1.50 to $1.75 a piece. Patio pavers...I think they are about 16" x 16" each. Used 4. Don't know if I needed them, but really didn't want to take a chance. Just something I picked up one day from a local Tractor Supply type store.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #614
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

My brother-in-law is new to smoking and I sold him on a PBC. I think it'll be perfect for him, and I really appreciate what Noah has done building the PBC Co.
WGA Charcoal
Genesis SA-E-325s

BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #615
Bob C Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBBQer View Post
My brother-in-law is new to smoking and I sold him on a PBC. I think it'll be perfect for him, and I really appreciate what Noah has done building the PBC Co.
Perfect choice for someone starting out. And for anyone who likes great results with my minimal effort.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it