Help Needed pork belly

tarheelsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell if the skin is on or off of this pork belly. I think it is off but I am not sure. Have it going in a cure tonight.

Thanks for your help!
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpg
    IMG_3569.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 176
Can you post a close up pic from the side. The skin will be a darker shade than the fat.

Here is one. I think that answered my question but I'll let you look to be sure. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_9400.jpg
    IMG_9400.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 173
If you're asking, it is probably off. Hard to mistake pork skin. Pretty sure, it is off from the pic. If you look close, you can see knife mark.s

I thought it was after Andy posted. The place I bought it from is pretty good on customer service and he knew I was making bacon with it. I would have thought he would have told me if the skin was on it.
Into the cure she shall go!
Thanks to all of you!!

Off. There is no mistaking the skin of piggy.

HOWEVER.. I love me some crispy pork skins.. especially when grillin pork belly.. with a little spicy vinegar/s&p/soy sauce.. man.. thats tasty..

As others said, it’s off. If not you would probably see the BOOBIES on it. My kids always laugh when we get them with the skin on.

Pork Belly Skin

Can anyone tell if the skin is on or off of this pork belly. I think it is off but I am not sure. Have it going in a cure tonight.

Thanks for your help!
Mike

I just got done smoking 40 pounds of pork bellies for bacon.
1/2 of it had skin 1/2 of it didnt (got it at two different places)
Yours definitly does not have the skin on it.
If you do ever get it with skin...no big deal.
After you smoke it it almost just peals right off.
Just slip a sharp knife under it ...easy peesy!
Good luck

Off.

The easiest way to tell other than the texture (feels like a football), is to draw a sharp knife lightly acros the surface. If the knife leaves visible cuts, the skin is off.

Back