MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Gringoloco
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Allen
Question 10 thousand people

We will be participating and selling BBQ at the Blues Festival this year. We will be offering brisket, pulled pork and pulled chicken. question is should we plan on doing more brisket vs. Pulled pork or vice a versa? There will be approximately 9,000 to 12,000 people the weekend of the Blues Fest. I am anticipating is selling at least 600 to 800 plates. Does anybody think that's too high or too low? Any advice is greatly appreciated. All permits and everything is in place already. Thanks for the help!
30 gallon vertical propane smoke with Big Daddy smoke generator
Sausage smoking cabinet as well
Gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Need more info. 1 day event? Other vendors? Other Q vendors? How many ye
ars has the event ran? Have you attended the event in the past? Age mix? Lots to consider.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Margins per servable ounce are always higher on pulled pork no matter how you price it versus brisket, plus your net yields are higher.

800 plates for a crowd that size? I'd project sales at 4,800 entree's to include extra take out no matter how many other BBQ vendors are there but's that my typical scenario at an event that size in a middle of the road demographic setting being a vendor people expect to see year to year.

What's your total compliant holding capacity all in for 21" pans allowing clearance for cooked butts? That's the limiting factor for most small operations that don't typically attend events that size.

Last edited by InThePitBBQ; 04-25-2019 at 10:46 AM..
InThePitBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Gringoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
Need more info. 1 day event? Other vendors? Other Q vendors? How many ye
ars has the event ran? Have you attended the event in the past? Age mix? Lots to consider.
Starts Friday Afternoon and wraps up Sunday with Saturday being the biggest day. Yes other street vendors, funnel cake, kettle corn, lemonade and those types. 1 or 2 Q vendors."maybe" one is not very good at all and the other one he mixes everything in sauce. Not real Q either!
Event has been going on for years. We are in a small town of 10K people so we have a lot of people coming in from out of town. Age range is late 20's to 50's
I have never been a vendor but have been to the event once. My office is located across the street form the park and I have partnered up with a local vendor and they will be doing a LARGE beer garden her as well.
TIA

Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Gringoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Margins per servable ounce are always higher on pulled pork no matter how you price it versus brisket, plus your net yields are higher.

800 plates for a crowd that size? I'd project sales at 4,800 entree's to include extra take out no matter how many other BBQ vendors are there but's that my typical scenario at an event that size in a middle of the road demographic setting being a vendor people expect to see year to year.

What's your total compliant holding capacity all in for 21" pans allowing clearance for cooked butts? That's the limiting factor for most small operations that don't typically attend events that size.

This will be my first big event. I want to start doing a BBQ trailer here and want to get my name out more than anything.
I can hold about 16 pans in the warming cabinets between the 2 smokers. one is a 250 gallon and the other is 375 gallon both RF. I don't mind if we sell out the first go around. I just don't want to make to much and waste a bunch of good Q.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringoloco View Post
This will be my first big event. I want to start doing a BBQ trailer here and want to get my name out more than anything.
I can hold about 16 pans in the warming cabinets between the 2 smokers. one is a 250 gallon and the other is 375 gallon both RF. I don't mind if we sell out the first go around. I just don't want to make to much and waste a bunch of good Q.
Well that leaves you about 450 sandwiches in reserve, crowd that size you should be sold out fast.

Health dept. inspectors green light those for holding use? We have to use Alto Shams at most events these days they won't allow non certified holding devices.

They approved your cookers as well? Were getting by still with large wood fired units so long as the tables are stainless and pre-inspected.

You are set up as a corporation or LLC and licensed and insured? That's a dangerous game to play with your personal assets otherwise lot's of *opportunists* in crowds that size.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
Rocky Branch BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Robert

Wish you good luck on event. Make good notes for next time. I m sure you'll do great.
Rocky Branch BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #8
buenavides
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Have fun in this exciting activity!
Keep us posted on what has happened after it takes place.
buenavides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
jimepp
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : jimm

Consider not only the possible number of people who will attend but also the participant sellers particularly the popular participants. You will not want to have too much stock so to make sure that you just have enough to sell and to make profit, below thousand is okay, I guess.
jimepp is offline   Reply With Quote