MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #106
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Just to add to C Dog's post -- I prefer curves to levels, more control. In addition to Kelby search you tube and consider a subscription to Lynda.com.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #107
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Casey,

Yup, Lightroom (although Lightshop would have made sense).
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #108
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
Just to add to C Dog's post -- I prefer curves to levels, more control. In addition to Kelby search you tube and consider a subscription to Lynda.com.
Curves does offer more control, but I don't think I'd recommend it for a beginner. I only use curves when I need to. I wouldn't recommend someone try curves until they understand a histogram, and work with levels to see how the histogram relates to the image.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #109
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
... consider a subscription to Lynda.com.
Interesting. That's EXACTLY why I love this place. Lots of good info. So you recommend the courses there. Seems reasonable for a monthly rate. Any preference for the two levels? Looks like the main difference is access to the Instructors Files. For something like PS is that helpful? Guess I'll look and try for a month and see.
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #110
cameraman
Babbling Farker

If you can watch and learn then you won't need the files. If you're a hands on learner then I'd give the file option a try.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #111
caseydog

You can get Kelby training for $199 per year. I don't have experience with Lynda.com but their best deal is $250 a year. Look them both over, carefully.

I'm a professional, and I have a subscription. I use the more advanced courses, but they have plenty of beginner level courses.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #112
buccaneer

I just found this thread

I'm doing sooooo much wrong, and Im only on the second page !
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #113
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

So I've looked into the training. Kelby looks great for Photo training and some software. Lynda is software training, but not for just Photo stuff, but more.

The choices... the choices. I'll probably do a month and compare, I'll report back.

Thanks guys for the help.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #114
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My wife has been storing up anything I make from cooking/blogging, etc., and I have enough for one of these now:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on that... then I get a bit for another deal in early November, where I'm getting one of these (or its successor if it's out by then):

What would you all think about picking a simple subject, getting one of the pros to talk about how to set up a shoot, then people trying it out?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #115
cameraman
Babbling Farker

That's a big ass piece of glass you're looking at there and if you're thinking of doing food photography, family pics and/or landscapes you're not going to be using the telephoto end of the zoom much. Now if you've got kids who play sports, that's another story. If it was me I'd look for a good lens in the wide angle to moderate telephoto range. I shoot Canon and use my 24-105 90% of the time.
Youtube is your friend. Search food photography and you'll find a lot of good videos that beat the chit out of what we can describe here. That said you'll certainly have all your specific questions answered here and if you wish, your work critiqued.

Smokey Joe (RIP)
Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #116
cmcadams

Cameraman, I'm not new here, don't worry. The 70-200 isn't for food; I use a 30mm prime for that mostly, though I'm thinking some macro work with en extension tube might be interesting down the road.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #117
Flash_333
Got Wood.

Default My New Tool

I just picked up this little gem up. A used Panasonic LX3. I read it has very good glass, a short focal length, and great in low light. However this has more options that modern fighter aircraft. Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks
Flash_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #118
cmcadams

I got a great deal today on a new Nikon body, d7000, for about $900 new, along with a 5 in 1 reflector kit with a stand I can set up by the grill, too. I decided to wait on a lens... Tamron announced a new one coming out, and a few experts recommended waiting on that instead of going with the sigma. I'm also going to find a 50mm f/1.2 now that I've upgraded the body.

Livefire Whisky

Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #119
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Lookin' for advice... Ready to buy a new camera for the fam. Budget tops out at about $300 bucks.

Seriously considering the

but I'm wondering if there are others that I should be looking at that are in the same ballpark... Looked at the

and while the wife would love the red one, I thought the thing was slow, the HS25 however seemed to be very responsive and quick to focus sharply even on fully zoomed shots.

Just looking for other opinions before I buy in the next day or two.

Thanks!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #120
cmcadams

Here's one of my first d7000 shts:

Livefire Whisky