Shelf life for Japs

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
One of those rare "good" problems!
Neighbor has huge garden. Two weeks ago, he gave me a bunch of Japs (24). I prepped 4 and gave them back to him to cook.
He came over today and brought me a bag- farker is a gallon at least- of Japs. He said he "really, really enjoyed the Turds" :wink: and that there would be a "coupla more bags" coming within the next week.
So: how in the hell do you store Japs?
I know if ya put them in plastic in the refrig they rot (don't ask how I know that) :oops:
Can they be cleaned out and frozen? Left whole and frozen? Left at room temp?
I need to make these last at least a month to 6 weeks based on the way we consume Turds.
Or, I could host a quickie "Turd Bash".
Or, do I just need to ship them out to the Bros?
Man, I wish all my challenges were as big as this :lol:
TIM

They will keep a while "open" in the fridge or in a basket on the counter. Consider pickling some. They won't freeze worth a darn unless you plan on using them for seasoning.

Mark had a thread last year about smoking japalenos -- i.e. making your own chipotle and that's probably one of the best ways to store them.

If were talking Jalapeneo`s, I smok`em, then freez`em whole. Take`em out when needed. Just opening the bag and smelling the aroma gets my taste buds going. I chop`em up in big chunks and mix in chop meat for grilled hamburgers. Makes the buger taste smoked!

Just one of a hundred uses.

I appreciate all the advice so far.
However, I only like the Japs done as Turds- simple.
Haven't worked up to the fancy level yet.
So, those of you who have provided a shipping address--HUM...?
Those of you within 5.72 hours driving time of Marianna--HUM...?
I'll keep a few loose in the frig and see just how long those suckers stay usable for turds :D
TIM

Other jalapeno uses:

Eggs, burritos, enchiladas, quesadilla's, fajitas, nachos, sandwiches,pintos, pizza, pico, dried pepper seasoning......

You can do it! I go thru japs like butter.

Stucue74 said:
Other jalapeno uses:

Eggs, burritos, enchiladas, quesadilla's, fajitas, nachos, sandwiches,pintos, pizza, pico, dried pepper seasoning......

You can do it! I go thru japs like butter.

Keep that up and I'm driving north and following the smoke. I'll just set up a small tent in the yard, you can just toss your scraps out and I'll take care of it.

Burnt orange clad Jack@$$ mod :twisted:

Forgot one of my favorites: Jalapeno corn bread.
Bryan, would you be willing to share your recipe?

The wife of an AF friend of mine who were OKC natives used to make the best jap cornbread. Had her recipe at one time but through many moves over many years I've lost it. Never found one exactly like it.

Jorge said:
I did indeed. :twisted: I see orange in your future :idea: :!:

By the way. You and any other brethren that would like to make the drive to OKC are more than welcome. I'm sure I could use a hand. I cut down my meat to 75 lbs. after listening to a couple of the pros on this site. Tomorrow bright and early I've got brisket, loin, and butt. Then on Sunday chicken, hot links, sausage, and ribs.

I really wish circumstances would allow that. It would be more than worth the drive! Hope you have a blast with it. I'm sure the Q will be out of this world. When in doubt have another beer!

kcquer said:
Forgot one of my favorites: Jalapeno corn bread.
Bryan, would you be willing to share your recipe?

The wife of an AF friend of mine who were OKC natives used to make the best jap cornbread. Had her recipe at one time but through many moves over many years I've lost it. Never found one exactly like it.

Actually, I've made cornbread from scratch before when I have the time. But lately, I've been busy Q'in and haven't devoted the time for homemade.

I get the jiffe corn bread boxes that you can get for like 50 cents and make according to the muffin recipe except just add diced japs. Another way is to take a 4 oz can of green chiles,drain them a little and add them to the batter. Very easy and very good. Goes excellent with Q.

I always have jiffy on hand, and I think its great. I can't believe this has been up as long as it has and not one TX Brother has said, "that crap has sugar in it and that ain't cornbread". I heard that from Texans when I was in the military all the time.

Ask Chad if he has some insight on this.

Edit: cornbread recipe that is.

Back