MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
brer rabbit
Knows what a fatty is.

hadnt heard of the pregant thing, but it could be. my grandfather has told me a few times to never butcher a sow in heat. when he was younger, they used to do the pigs as a family gathering, so they could do it all at once. they would never butcher a sow in heat because it would ruin the whole batch of sausage. i dont know, because ive never had a sow in heat, but he's not the type of guy to make things up. theres probably something to it
brer rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

my guess is its a boar hog
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Default my two cents

Ok here's my 2 cents.
We raise pigs every year for the freezer (as well as a plethera of other animals).
Two things will Pucker up the meat quick as anything at butchering time
1) an uncut boar
2) a sow in heat
It will give the meat an off smell like stale urine or worse. In todays market the animlas are raised in very controlled conditions ( don't get me started on this subject), so unless you are buying localy raised meat from a local small farm there is zero chance that it was prego b4 it was slaughtered. Also there is zero chance that it was an uncut male as that is taken care of days after birth. they are usually slaughtered around 6-8 months depending on the breed and that is 99% of the time way beforte they come into heat for the first time. but it does happen from time to time that one may mature early enough to hit heat b4 it meets its maker.

ok class lesson over. My guess would be is that its the cryo vac or just bad meat but probably the cryovac...
Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedle View Post
Ok here's my 2 cents.
We raise pigs every year for the freezer (as well as a plethera of other animals).
Two things will Pucker up the meat quick as anything at butchering time
1) an uncut boar
2) a sow in heat
It will give the meat an off smell like stale urine or worse. In todays market the animlas are raised in very controlled conditions ( don't get me started on this subject), so unless you are buying localy raised meat from a local small farm there is zero chance that it was prego b4 it was slaughtered. Also there is zero chance that it was an uncut male as that is taken care of days after birth. they are usually slaughtered around 6-8 months depending on the breed and that is 99% of the time way beforte they come into heat for the first time. but it does happen from time to time that one may mature early enough to hit heat b4 it meets its maker.

ok class lesson over. My guess would be is that its the cryo vac or just bad meat but probably the cryovac...
Issue solved. My uncle had a farm with a very large pig shed holding at least 1000 pigs. He was very careful about sorting this out. All the boars were outside in the mud. The male piglets were castrated bloody fast and fed and killed. The female pigs were left to mature more and some were selected for mating, The rest were sent to slaughterhouses.

It's a very precise business... it's probably the cryovac.

Cheers!
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
ovrkl1947
Found some matches.

Cryovac bagged almost always smells bad. Always let rest and rinse well. The smell will go away. Meat also wil taste better also. My .02
ovrkl1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
Jburt
On the road to being a farker

Most likely a cryovac issue, but there were a lot of sows sent to the packer recently because of how bad the market was for pork not too long ago (I mean like 3 months). It could have been a producer that was forced to liquidate that sold a sow or boar.

Not likely, but possible.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #22
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
i eat bad pork all the time. every time i visit my local bbq restaurant
I can relate to that. Think he uses a crock pot or pressure cooker for pulled pork. Tried the place twice just to give them the benefit of the doubt but will not go back.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote