MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Canning Homemade Sauce et al

Well the holidays are quickly approaching, not to mention the next Trade Round and I have been considering making a big batch of my homemade sauce and rub for gifts and trade.

I usually make a quart or so and it seems to do well in the refrigerator for several weeks. I haven't gotten sick yet, but maybe I have a cast iron stomach.

The sauce contains the usual, a little tomato paste, some vinegar, spices a little alcohol and a secret ingredient or two. All the spices are dry but it does contain some fruit puree as well (other than the tomato). My question is do I need to pressure can the product or do you think I can safely hot bath them?

Also for the rub, I would like to put a little desiccant bag in the jar. You know the ones that say " DO NO EAT", just to help with moisture control. I was hoping to make those at home too.

I have a lot of free time right now.

Any way ... we used to put rice in salt shakers at home to keep them from clogging up. So I was thinking of putting rice kernels in a tea bag and placing that on the top of the jar. This should work ... right?

I do need your input on these 2 matters please. If not, the BBQ sauce I send you this holiday season may kill you .

Thanks and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Rice in a cheese cloth bag should work fine as a desiccant. Regarding the sauce, I hot water bath pints all the time and no one has died yet. To be safe you need to know the acidity.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Kevin ... can you recommend a tester? I know Ph paper can be used but it is such a pain in the arse.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheart View Post
Kevin ... can you recommend a tester? I know Ph paper can be used but it is such a pain in the arse.
No, I wish I could. I make a lot of different sauces and would love to share them "safely". Commercial PH testers are kind of expensive.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
No, I wish I could. I make a lot of different sauces and would love to share them "safely". Commercial PH testers are kind of expensive.
I have been searching online and there is quite a price range and then you also need to purchase calibration capsules. aaaargh!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
nicerackbbqteam
On the road to being a farker

make sure the sauce is at 190 before you can it
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

You need to tell us the full recipe for a complete comment.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Stan41
Got Wood.

USDA recommends pressure canning any sauce that has low acid foods like onions and garlic. Tomatoes would be ok to water bath.
Stan
Stan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
brer rabbit
Knows what a fatty is.

when i make my sauce, i usually only make enuf for that day, but i have made it in bulk a couple times too. if its a tomato base sauce, and if it has some vinegar in it, its plenty acidic for water bath canning. i have a couple pints still on the shelf from last year, and they are fine. just leave em in there for an extra 5 minutes if your worried. 35 minutes is probably plenty if its hot goin in :)

one thing ill note tho, the flavor is different from fresh. if i was gonna send some of mine, id send it as is with a little disclaimer sayin "you're on your own" or somethin.
brer rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

I had been using a water bath for my sauce, until the last two batches didn't seem right. I don't think I have enough of an acid base, so please be very careful.
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
K Dub
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We take a sample to our local college campus and have them test it for $25. They will tell you if your recipe is safe for canning. You might try calling your local college campus or Google them and see if they do the same.
K Dub is offline   Reply With Quote