MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

The HD inspector in our area strongly recommends the color coded boards - one color for raw and another for cooked. It does not save any time in the washing, etc., but it does keep the raw chicken goop away from the sliced brisket!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #32
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

There's not much more separation from chicken goop than chuckin' the cutting board when you're done. As is said, amputation is the only true cure.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #33
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
CAUTION!!! There seems to be some earlier confusion between bleach and Clorox Cleanup Cleaner with Bleach.

They are not the same. The cleaner has surficants and detergents and must be used non-diluted for it to disinfect. That residue you feel is detergents and you might not want that on a cutting board. The clorox site makes no mention either way about cutting boards or food prep items.

Straight bleach should be diluted as per FAQ: http://www.clorox.com/products/usage.php?prod_id=clb

General Disinfecting

Use the following method to disinfect hard, nonporous surfaces at home:
  1. Create bleach solution using ¾ cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water.
  2. Wash, wipe or rinse items/area with water, then apply solution.
  3. Let stand 5 minutes.
  4. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
FAQ for cleanup product:

http://www.clorox.com/products/faqs.php?prod_id=ccu
Hmm, this fellow has confused the issue even more...

There is a huge difference between Sanitizing, and Disinfecting!

When you sanitize the goal is to kill a sufficient amount of pathogens and bacterial to reduce the risk of food borne illness - Contact time with your sanitizing solution is critical! Just as it takes time for a fdew shots of whisky to start entering your system, it takes a predetermined amount of time for any sanitizer to kill all of the bugs that may be present.

It also takes time and uses up active ingriediants to work it's way through any soils that may be present. That is why it is absolutely neccessary to have the surface fully cleaned with soap and rinsed with water before applying a sanitizing solution.

Bleach is a good sanitizer but a horrible cleaner. It has no surfactants to help break down fats, protiens etc...

In commercial products when you see "Sanitizer" on its own, it always means that it has no surfactants and therfore the surface must be cleaned first (2 step process). Most of the time is intended to be left to air dry and optionally rinsed after.

Disinfecting means to kill all pathogens and bacteria (think hopital operating room) takes much longer (contact time on surface being disinfected) and is at a much higher concentration of active chemical.

3/4 of a cup of bleach per gallon is NOT a food safe sanitizing solution! That is a disinfecting solution! If you let that air dry on a cutting board with no rinse, theres a chance someone will be getting sick from the chemical

Start reading the labels on your disinfecting/sanitizing products and you'll see that (I love this one) A product like Clorox disinfecting wipes (no clorine) to use properly, the surface must remain VISIBLY wet for 4 min. How??!! That thing is nearly dry when it comes out of the pkg! Yet the commercial looks good doesn't it? THey had you thinking you were killing eveything just by smearing it around on the counter... Lysol spray, batroom cleaners, you name it they all have 3 - 10 min kill claims on disinfecting.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #34
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
CAUTION!!! There seems to be some earlier confusion between bleach and Clorox Cleanup Cleaner with Bleach.

They are not the same. The cleaner has surficants and detergents and must be used non-diluted for it to disinfect. That residue you feel is detergents and you might not want that on a cutting board. The clorox site makes no mention either way about cutting boards or food prep items.

Straight bleach should be diluted as per FAQ: http://www.clorox.com/products/usage.php?prod_id=clb

General Disinfecting

Use the following method to disinfect hard, nonporous surfaces at home:
  1. Create bleach solution using ¾ cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water.
  2. Wash, wipe or rinse items/area with water, then apply solution.
  3. Let stand 5 minutes.
  4. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
FAQ for cleanup product:

http://www.clorox.com/products/faqs.php?prod_id=ccu
The HD requires that a food serving establishment use 3 sinks for the cleaning or all materials including cutting boards. By law the wash sink must be large enough to submerge your largest utensil usually a cutting board. Now if it's over half way that's good. Then it must be rinsed in sink #2 and finally rinsed in sink #3 that has the bleach solution. You must use test strips to ensure the right mixture .

For cleaning counters they must be washed with a hot saopy water then risned then sprayed with a solution of bleach water - again tested for concentration. Anybody who takes a Serve Safe course will know all this as well as much more.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #35
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Does anyone have a link or part number for the Day Dots cutting boards? I'd like to compare shipping costs since the Smokey Mountain boards are $16 to get shipped to IL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ View Post
FYI - I got a Day Dots catalog in the mail and it had a promo code for buy one get one free and another for 25% off of an order. Just ordered four pkgs of these boards, pretty much ended up getting one free using the 25% discount.

I don't have the catalog in front of me, but they have Thermopen thermometers for $46.00 each. No minimum order. I look on-line and they don't have them, but it was definitely in the catalog.

Oh yeah: Promo Code for buy one get one free "P4044" or 25% off "P4044" No quotes. When ordering online, the discount is not shown immediately. I called and they said they verify the code and then apply it.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #36
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here you go...

John
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #37
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, I'm familiar with Google. The link you gave me still doesn't get to the cutting boards, though. Says the item is no longer available. Did they stop carrying them?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

It's the first non-sponsored result in the search I sent.

John
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #39
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

So when you click on that link it takes you to a product? I get taken to the daydots site and get the following:
"Unable to locate item [30214-00-00] "
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #40
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Hmm... I certainly hope they're not discontinued.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #41
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I actually just read on the smoke ring that they were discontinued in October.

www.cutandtoss.com has several sizes but I have to look into their pricing a bit more.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #42
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
I actually just read on the smoke ring that they were discontinued in October.

www.cutandtoss.com has several sizes but I have to look into their pricing a bit more.
Ohmigosh, Noooo! I love their cutting boards. I wonder why the were discontinued? During our busy summer vending season those are such a time saver. We also order the chlorine sanitizer test strips and the pan liners for half pans for our steam tables and chafing dishes. When we are vending fast and furious all day and then have to clean and pack up quick at the end of the day the cutting boards and pan liners come in so handy.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #43
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

I sent an email to DayDots/EcoLab asking why the disposable cutting sheets were discontinued and they replied "they were low in sales." That was the full extent of their response.

I am going to buy a package of the smaller cutting sheets from Cut 'n Toss to see if they are of good quality before ordering a bunch of the larger ones.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #44
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We use the day-dot disposables for comps as well...I ordered 60 toward the end of summer using a 25% discount coupon that swamprb had...we got lucky and they were still selling them. I use them at home too... I hope we'll be able to find them before our season starts...we use 4 or 5 per comp.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #45
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

That blows since they're right down the road and I would just pick them up. Luckily I have enough to get me through another season. Might have to get with some other locals and put a group order in to bring down the shipping of the others.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote