MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Cutting Board Cleanup

This probably came up before more than once but is it safe to clean poly cutting boards with a bleach product like clorox cleanup? It sure helps to whiten them up but leaves a bleach scent for a while afterward... but so does soap on your hands after you wash them.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I always clean my poly board with regular soap, then follow up with Clorox spray. I let that sit a couple of minutes then scrub it in good and rinse well. By the time I use the board again the bleach smell is gone.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
big brother smoke

TK, at home, yes clorox clean-up works. However, commercially you need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse and place in sanitzed solution of bleach and water for a few seconds then let air dry.

When I use them for poultry and fish, I use hot soapy bleachy water to wash and do as stated above.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
TK, at home, yes clorox clean-up works. However, commercially you need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse and place in sanitzed solution of bleach and water for a few seconds then let air dry.
How diluted should the solution be, it seems that there would still be a residue after air drying?

BTW nice avatar you have there
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
big brother smoke

I use a teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thanks, I figured you would like it!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Rodger
Found some matches.

You can also use the dry powder mix that the homebrewers use to sterilize their plastic wares. Easier to carry with you, just mix with water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the product.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

To Sanitize: Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, and utensils 1/4 cup bleach 4 gallons warm water (75 °F - 110 °F) soak for 1 minute air dry

To Sanitize: Tables, counters, food processing equiptment 1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon warm water
(75 °F - 110 °F) apply solution air dry

Chlorine bleach exposed to water over 110* is rendered pretty much useless. So a bleach soaking and then hot rinse should get rid of the residue and everything is coodie fee.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Is there any problem with using the dish washer?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

dishwasher santizes well, but leaves the staining... a bleach bath gets the plastic cutting boards back to white.

Its getting rid of the bleachy smell afterwards. i use hot water and then airdry.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
To Sanitize: Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, and utensils 1/4 cup bleach 4 gallons warm water (75 °F - 110 °F) soak for 1 minute air dry

To Sanitize: Tables, counters, food processing equiptment 1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon warm water
(75 °F - 110 °F) apply solution air dry

Chlorine bleach exposed to water over 110* is rendered pretty much useless. So a bleach soaking and then hot rinse should get rid of the residue and everything is coodie fee.
I didn't realize that it's all about the math. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
You can also use the dry powder mix that the homebrewers use to sterilize their plastic wares. Easier to carry with you, just mix with water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the product.
1 STEP is the no rinse powder cleaner I use in brewing. Never thought to use it "on the road" to clean polyboards. Thanks for the tip.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
Steve in N. TX
Found some matches.

White vinegar also works well as a sanitzer
Steve in N. TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.
Amen! I get them from DayDots as well. I use five per comp -- one for each category prep, and one for turn-in prep. They hold up very well. I'll never wash a cutting board at a comp again!

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
ulikabbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Smoky Mountain Smokers has them for a bit cheaper

here
SS Gasser

www.ulikabbq.com
www.ulikafoodblog.com
ulikabbq is offline   Reply With Quote