MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ Caterer getting sued on Good Morning America

I didn't see a lot it but a NY cook is/was being sued because lots of people got sick at a wedding reception. Anyone know the story?
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

http://wcti12.com/news/nation-world/...ption-got-sick

I think this is what your talking about. Pretty hard to prove. Hope he has good insurance. Probably ruins his business regardless.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

Gotta take and record temps.3hrs between consumption and getting sick is really short, but he can't prove he did things right.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

That type of food poisoning is fast acting, a type of staph basically and you get sick from it's toxins. It also doesn't cause an off taste. Toxins produced also aren't necessarily killed by reheating.

Regarding the lawsuit, the caterers lawyers would have to prove they followed food safety rules first and foremost. Then they would likely have to try and establish where contamination took place. It's usually introduced by person to food contact, so maybe they could present enough doubt as to whether it was an employee or guest. Kind of a Longshot
Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post
That type of food poisoning is fast acting, a type of staph basically and you get sick from it's toxins. It also doesn't cause an off taste. Toxins produced also aren't necessarily killed by reheating.

Regarding the lawsuit, the caterers lawyers would have to prove they followed food safety rules first and foremost. Then they would likely have to try and establish where contamination took place. It's usually introduced by person to food contact, so maybe they could present enough doubt as to whether it was an employee or guest. Kind of a Longshot

I would think either direction would be tough to prove three years after the fact. Hopefully the caterer maintains good records and didn't throw them away.
Food poisoning can present as early as 20 minutes after a meal, depending on the type of infection.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another Article

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ently_ill.html
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

I didn't see anywhere that the patients vomit or diarrhea had been tested for the toxins. If they didn't test, there's no way to prove it was the caterer, in fact, no way to prove it was a food borne illness either. 'Coincidence' does not hold up in court.

Just read the second article: The patients were tested, but the caters food was not. Cater should win this one.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

The caterer may win the case, but with what great legal expenses?

I agree that others bringing food to the event is a contributory negligence, however most caterers do not allow others to bring and serve outside items, whether it be foods or beverages. This is even stated in most catering contracts.
(This is the reason most caterers do not sell food by the pan, they lose all control over temperature and sanitary conditions)

Although all the articles I have read give us little bits and pieces, one of the areas of concern is where the vendor refused to give requested samples to the health department in a timely manner.

Then you have an issue where some states do not elect judges, but rather politically appoint them; then you can have an inexperienced judge in law who has their own interpretation or opinion of the law to deal with. Some of these appointed judges do not know the specific area of law and will make decisions based on personal opinions. You can pay your lawyers to take it to the higher courts for a ruling, but again with great expense.

The bottom line is that even if he wins, his business will always carry the stigma of the guy who made everybody sick.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
The caterer may win the case, but with what great legal expenses?

I agree that others bringing food to the event is a contributory negligence, however most caterers do not allow others to bring and serve outside items, whether it be foods or beverages. This is even stated in most catering contracts.
(This is the reason most caterers do not sell food by the pan, they lose all control over temperature and sanitary conditions)

Although all the articles I have read give us little bits and pieces, one of the areas of concern is where the vendor refused to give requested samples to the health department in a timely manner.

Then you have an issue where some states do not elect judges, but rather politically appoint them; then you can have an inexperienced judge in law who has their own interpretation or opinion of the law to deal with. Some of these appointed judges do not know the specific area of law and will make decisions based on personal opinions. You can pay your lawyers to take it to the higher courts for a ruling, but again with great expense.

The bottom line is that even if he wins, his business will always carry the stigma of the guy who made everybody sick.

I didn't notice that part

Totally agree. Guy is changing his name as we speak!
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote