MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Kfrog55
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Cleaning Expanded Metal Cooking racks

Any suggestions for what works best to clean these? I'm using a Humprey's Battlebox and after the first few cooks washing the racks in the home sink have been a disaster. Sink to small big mess everywhere. I've read that some people use a weed torch and wire brush to get them clean afterwards. I'm starting to see the convenience in rounded metal stainless steel ones. Any suggestions would be welcome, and thanks.
Kfrog55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

Degreaser and a power washer work pretty well if you want them back to bare metal. A ball of aluminum foil works great to the all the big chunks off.
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I power wash mine every 3 to 5 cooks, depending how big/messy they've been, and just spot treat with balled up foil to knock the chunks off in between. Running the cooker for a bit after the meat comes off tends to help.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Bshep
Got rid of the matchlight.

Simple green mixture and power wash here...sometimes I go to the car wash if I have a pile of racks and don't want to stain the grass.
Bshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

A weed burner will warp the expanded metal if it's near the center with no rod support. It *might* go back to it's original shape after it cools but you don't want to risk it just to get the food burned off. I got a $10 kiddie pool and just soak my grates in there.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

I use degreaser and a wire brush, then squirt them with the hose. Be careful about little wires stuck in the expanded metal.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have the Humphreys Down East Beast, I seasoned them well when I bought them, and I only have to brush them while they are still hot and everything just falls off.

Occasionally when I get lazy and don't brush when they are still hot, stuff will stick, and the weed burner works great, or I just set them on the Weber when I'm done grilling to get them hot, then brush.

The new stainless grates are really nice too, they just wipe clean. But they are $60.00 plus shipping... another added expense that may not be necessary for you.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

I use the orange citric degreaser from HD . throw them on a wooden pallet and powerwash

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
Sakamoto
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Greg

I have placed them in a self cleaning oven and it worked pretty well.
Sakamoto is offline   Reply With Quote