MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Citricidal ... I use it, anybody else??

Years ago I stumbled on this product when I had a substantial number of parrots (mostly Macaws) and it was critical to avoid introduction (or spread) of any potentially dangerous substances. I had read that Citricidal (grapefruit seed extract) was used regularly in a wide range of dilution ratios for everything from spraying fresh fruits and vegetables to disinfecting cutting boards, countertops, to pediatric intensive care unit floor (rug) cleaning.
I continue to use this product daily for many applications, but have not updated my research regarding the product and possible improved replacements.
How do Brethren see Citricidal in terms of this food handling topic? Incidentally, when I acquired the product it was only available from health food stores in a 6:1 dilution with a neutral gel (NutriBiotic Liquid Concentrate _ 4oz plastic bottle). Full strength Citricidal is not recommended for consumer use but was available to veterinarians, pharmacists, etc.

Any thoughts or comments?
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
bbqjoe
Banned

I'll be the first to admit I have never heard of it.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did a google on cirticidal and only got two hits in English...one for a pill from a natural food place (for ingestion, not cleaning) and one question on some forum from 2000 with no responses.

I'd say, off hand, it wouldn't be approved for food service. However, if you have used the product and like it it would probably be ok for home use.

As an aside, many new cleaning formulas are including citrus in the formulas. I've used citrus based handcleaners and citrus based air fresheners (from ACE/Truevalue only for the original) and the family really likes the air freshener. I've got a surface cleaner from GFS with orange oils/extracts and it works very well - it's not advertised as antibacterial.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting

http://www.biochemresearch.com/citricidal.htm

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
I did a google on cirticidal and only got two hits in English...one for a pill from a natural food place (for ingestion, not cleaning) and one question on some forum from 2000 with no responses.

I'd say, off hand, it wouldn't be approved for food service. However, if you have used the product and like it it would probably be ok for home use.

As an aside, many new cleaning formulas are including citrus in the formulas. I've used citrus based handcleaners and citrus based air fresheners (from ACE/Truevalue only for the original) and the family really likes the air freshener. I've got a surface cleaner from GFS with orange oils/extracts and it works very well - it's not advertised as antibacterial.
http://www.biochemresearch.com/citri...sinfectant.htm

Conclusion of disinfectant test.

From Table #1 it is readily apparent that CITRICIDAL at a concentration of 0.125 oz/gallon exhibits marked antibacterial activity in distilled water. The disinfectant was most likely bactericidal, since the survival time of the organisms used in this study was relatively short. Both Salmonella and S. aureus were slightly more resistant than the E. coli isolate used. This observation agrees with previous work (unpublished) with other disinfectant. Of perhaps more importance is the impression that is apparent from the data shown in Table #2. The presence of an extremely high content of protein (2.5% egg white) did not change the activity of CITRICIDAL disinfectant toward the three bacterial species used. There was no detectable change in the activity of this disinfectant toward the E. coli or Salmonella. A slight increase (from 5 to 10 minutes) to kill all the Staphylococus was measured, however due to this small magnitude of increase, this is of questionable significance.
Although not included in this report, preliminary studies with CITRICIDAL also indicate that this disinfectant poses good antifungal activity. This should also be kept in mind when considering the attributes of this product.
CITRICIDAL has great potential as a disinfectant with the previously determined low toxicity coupled with the excellent antibacterial activity suggests numerous applications of this product. The data in this report must be repeated before recommendations can be made as to the appropriate dilution of CITRICIDAL that should be used in practical application, however indications are that the "use rate" will be low. Additional, studies are planned to better define these levels (i.e. minimal inhibitory concentrations in a variety of media). The apparent refactory nature of this disinfectant to protein is intriguing and additional studies are currently underway to gain a better understanding of this aspect of CITRICIDAL.

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Never heard of it either. Here is a quick cut and paste and also links to some info:

In the years since its discovery, grapefruit seed extract has been tested and validated by the FDA, USDA, the Pasteur Institute in France, and numerous physicians. The active ingredient of grapefruit seed extract is non-toxic and is synthesized from the seed and pulp of certified organically grown grapefruit. The process converts the grapefruit bioflavonoids (polyphenolics) into an extremely potent compound that is being used to kill strep, staph, salmonella, E. Coli, candida, herpes, influenza, parasites, fungi, and more.

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/kitchen7.html
http://www.itmonline.org/jintu/grapefruit.htm

Did a little more reading. I found this interesting, it's on the first link above:

Researchers at the University of Sao Paulo in Brazil found the substance to be 100% effective in skin disinfection when used as a pre-surgical preparation compared to a 72% effectiveness rate for alcohol.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Default Just the level of quality comment I expected .....

..... the references posted are similar to what I saw prior to using Citricidal. I have used it for nearly 8 years, with no negative issues I am aware of. Whether it helped or not is clearly up for discussion.

Many thanks,
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote