MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cooling down

I pulled a lot if pork around 2:30 this morn. Let cool couple hours then bagged. Put in fridge around 5. Feel asleep until about 8 and checked my fridge and was up to little over 60 degrees. Took some of meat put in another fridge. What should I do? Will it be ok?
rowdycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

The danger zone is 40° to 140°, with the most dangerous temps being in the 60° to 80° range. Serve Safe says you have 4 hours before the temp needs to be 40° or below. Your situation sounds iffy to me.

One thing to remember is that house hold refrigerators are designed to keep things cold, not cool them down, hence your warm fridge. I always use an ice and water bath with an ice bag on top to cool the meat down to cold before fridging.

Hopefully others will chime in with more info.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah I should used ice bath. Checked it seems alright and is cooled down now.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

K thank you for ur help
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Your food is fine. Look up two stage cooling method. You can take whatever the health department, usda, serv safe and all the other place out there and add a little time, there stuff is extreme to ensure no problems. There is a lot more room for error then you might believe.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks I feel a lot better. I had it pulled and that helped a lot with cooling. Seems fine. I think if it were bad you could tell it. I just always want to be safe. I done a taste test and tastes fine also
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

FWIW

When I cook extra butts, briskets, etc--I pull/chop/whatever and put in aluminum pans. Each pan is loaded shallow, no more than 1/2 full.
These are cooled for a bit to near room temp and then into the freezer for a couple of hours.
Quick chill and does not have enough residual heat to drive the freezer temp up much, if any.
Then vacusuck or whatever I plan for storage.

Works for me.

Your meat should be just fine the way the timing worked out.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote