MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

Kathy, I believe that mainly it has to do with density and heat penetration. No thickeners or dairy should ever be added to home canned foods before canning. They increase the density of the product and may insulate it enough that some of the product doesn't see the necessary temps for the appropriate time when following tested recipes.

The way to work around that is to just add the flour or dairy upon opening. I do this all the time with broccoli and cauliflower I can from my garden. I'll can a thin soup, and then add the cream or thickener while reheating to eat. That canned cauliflower soup makes an amazing base for curries, by the way!

That same NCHFP link has great info on pressure canner use and practices, as well as safe, tested recipes for canning things like salmon and tuna. I do hundreds of jars of those each year, and they are wonderful.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

The main issue is the safety of the food in canning.

The second issue is when sent to an APO / FPO box for an AE delivery, if any liquid or glas is detected in screening the package is pulled and discarded.

If it clears US customs it then has to clear Foreign Custom inspections.

My legion Post ships about 25 packages a week and have had to deal with many issues of loss from simple issues like shampoo and liquid soap.

Can't imagine a glass container filled with meat and juices getting through...

IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
trolleytime
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all the information. I decided to hold off on attempting it now because my cousin's wing is set to come back early next month and I'd rather cook for his welcome home party. I may try this in the future and send some to a cousin in CA.

D. Moore
trolleytime is offline   Reply With Quote