• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS smoking problem - smoking right now!!

B

bholtzinger

I have not smoked very much on my UDS. I have done a few pork butts and a brisket.

Ok, my buddy wanted to see my UDS in action so I loaded it up and took it over to his house. We started smoking at 2 am this morning.

I am struggling to keep the temperature stable. If I leave one nipple open the temperature just seems to slowly rise and rise. If I close it off and open the ball valve the temperature slowly drops and drops. I am constantly adjusting.

Now the big problem. I took the lid off about 4 hours into smoking a brisket and some ribs and when I lifted the lid off a black liquid started dripping off the lid. It landed on the brisket and the ribs and then on me. It is some nasty stuff. Is this from my temperature struggles? Is the meat ruined. Any tips or advice.

How many outlets do you have? Is the ball valve bigger or smaller than the nipple you are closing? What temp is the smoker dropping to with the ball valve open?

I have 3 3/4 inch outlets. Only one is a ball valve. The wholes are all the same size and I have a 3/4 inch ball valve, but it seems like the ball valves hole fully open is probably half that of a fully open 3/4 inch outlet. That seems like the problem to me.

When I close the ball valve and just have an outlet open I let it climb to 230 and then I close the outlet and open the ball valve until it drops to 220 and then I close the ball valve and open the outlet until it goes to 230 etc.........

I just left the outlet open and it looks like it wants to run about 260 with it open.

I guess my main concern is the black liquid that got on the brisket and ribs. What is it and is the meat ruined? Should I just shut it down and throw the meat out or what??

Thanks for the help!!

No, if you have ever watched Alton Brown. That is how he makes liquid smoke. You should be able to wipe the stuff off with a paper towel and be ok. I smoke at 260 all the time. It may be where your UDS will run, nothing wrong with that you will just have to adjust your cooking times.

When I say outlets I mean the ones that are on top letting the smoke out of the smoker. Do you have a ball valve on one of these also?

No, I just have about a 3 inch tall pipe coming out of the 2 inch bung hole on top.

If you want to run it at a lower temp you can try and get a something that will cover the pipe coming out of the top, like a flat magnet. Start by covering the pipe about half way and wait 15 minutes and see what happens to the temp.

Good luck with the rest of your cook. Be sure to post pictures later.

Did all of your questions get answered?

Thanks for the help. I think I need to start my fire off with less charcoal next time and I might add another ball valve intake since the ball valve I have on there is about half the size of my 3/4" intakes. I would think this would give me the temperature control I am looking for.

you might want to put a defusser plate just above the charcoal basket , could even set a pan of water on it that help lower temp. & catch some of the grease drippings causing the black liquid. start the fire from the top by filling basket 3/4 full then start chimmney 1/2 to 3/4 full when burning good dump on top of basket. scatter 3or 4 palm size wood chunks down thru the basket , leave the top pipe open so it can draw

Make very small adjustments then wait fifteen minutes before making a new adjustment. Good luck.

I had similar temp control issues with my UDS, and what seemed to really help was to make more exhaust holes. This gives you better flow of the heat (letting the heat out). I was in a situation where it would run hot (260-275) and at the same time have lots of white smoke (fire smothered with the inlets closed). Too hot with the fire smothered ? what do do - well by adding more vents I could let the smoke and heat out, allowing more intake, and a better burning fire. Now I get nice blue smoke and can easily keep it around 230.

My lid came with a 2 in hole and a 3/4 in hole. I started just using the 2in, then opened the 3/4 in (some improvement), then drilled two 1in holes I cover with magnets when not needed and added a 4 in nipple on the 2in hole for a chimney. It all works better now, can control the heat and the flow by closing the intakes and 2 drilled out exhaust holes.

Never had a problem with dripping black stuff - was there water in the UDS? can't imagine there would be enough liquid in the meat to cause that..... That points to not enough exhaust as well in my opinion. Good luck !

Back