MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
MN-QUE
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Greg
Unhappy Cambro and Baby Backs

I recently cooked for my nephews graduation party and did some baby backs as a personal request from him. The issue I ran into was when the ribs were done I put them in full sheet aluminum pans and covered with foil. I poked a few holes in the foil to vent the steam. They were done to perfect texture when I put them in the Cambro. When I reached my destination about 20 minutes away they had steamed and now were overcooked to the point they were literally falling of the bone. I also cooked 40 lbs of pulled pork and 20 lbs of pulled chicken which were delivered the night before and reheated.

My question is do I need to let them rest longer to cool before I lock them away in the Cambro for transport? They were still gone within 15 minutes but I was not happy with the product I was serving to his guests. Approximately 80 to 100 people. everyone said they were good but who's gonna knock free BBQ.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

I was mortified the first time we did exactly this for a church luncheon service, sometimes you learn from a mistake or maybe more appropriately what you consider a mistake and other people look on as an improvement.

That was the day I learned the masses really prefer fall off the bone, slide the bones right out of the rack tender ribs so long as they are still moist and juicy.

I heard about those ribs for months afterwards and that's all anyone has wanted since.

Try a people's choice taste test sometime and serve them up a firm pull from the bone and fall off the bone and see what they say.

I think you'll be surprised at how overwhelming most folks preferences are just so long as they aren't dry.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

A Cambro hot box is very efficient. I usually let meats cool to 170° before going in to the box, and if I'm holding meats for several hours I'll crack the door once an hour to allow some of the heat to escape.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did you pan & cover the ribs right away? If you're at your desired doneness, it can be beneficial to let the meat cool a little bit before covering and holding. If you put 'em in the Cambro right away, there'll be a good amount of carryover cooking.

If I'm not holding for very long, I won't even cover the stuff before I put it in to hold. But that's if 'm stationary - I totally get wanting to cover something when you're on the move so as to keep down the possibility of a mess.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->