MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooking for My Son's Party - Please Check My Procedures for Safety

I'll be smoking pork butts and briskets for ~ 80 people. All of this will be at my home. I will hold in a preheated cooler. Here's how I will be set-up and what process that I will use. Please correct me or offer better methods.

- pork and briskets will be placed into chaffing sets using two half pans for each meat and warming with sterno. The half pans will allow me to rotate in fresh meat.

- I plan to initially cut-up what I think will be enough for the first run-though the buffet line (self serve). I will pull more meat from the holding cooler, as needed. I will also have a Polder probe in the meat that is being held to make sure it is above 140°F.

- I will write down the time that the food is placed on the table and monitor how long it sits out. If it's at 2 hours and people are still eating I will rotate new meat from the cooler into the trays and take the older meat and place into a cooler with ice to drop the temp to 70°F for 2 hours and then refrigerate to get temp to at least 40°F within another hour. Same thing will happen to the meat in the cooler that hits 140°F.

- If people get hungry later I can reheat the meat to at least 165°F ....... this party may last awhile!

- I will also have coleslaw that I will surround the pan in ice and make sure that I periodically stir to keep cooled.

Some questions:

- how hot will the sterno keep the meat?
- will the sterno dry out the meat, especially the brisket?

Am I doing it right? Any advice, comments, better way of doing things, etc.?

Thanks,

Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Jason Whittemore
Got rid of the matchlight.

Everything looks good...but if you're holding the hot meat at 140 there is no need to remove it after 2 hours.

TCS (time controlled safety) according to safe serv...you can server hot food without tcs at 4 hours and then toss.

Cold food is 7 hours as long as it doesnt go over 70f.

Aslo according to my certification in Minneapolis, you have 2 hours to get to 70 and 2 to get to 40.

As long as your Chaffers our set right and you make sure you are holding at 140...that should be good enough.

Great job, sounds like you are well prepared. Good luck!
Jason Whittemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg60525 View Post
- I will also have coleslaw that I will surround the pan in ice and make sure that I periodically stir to keep cooled.

Something that I have done in the past with cold foods is to take a water pan and fill it a little above where a half pan will be touching the water, and then freeze it.

When it comes time to serve, take the water pan, OK, now techniaclly an ice pan, and place your half pans in it.

Just keep the hot foods hot and the cold ones cold and you'll be golden.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Keep part of the pan (hot) covered with foil. This will help prevent drying out and keep some heat in. Cover everything when not serving.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote