Pot of Smoked Ham and Beans

OSD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Cooked up a pot of ham and beans using bone and chunks of ham from double smoked ham from Thanksgiving.

Pan of beans soaked overnight. Pam wanted great northern for a change (I usually use butter beans).

1/2 pound of bacon frying. When done I'll scoop out the bacon to dry on paper towels for later use.

In the bacon grease I'll put bell pepper(mix of red, yellow, green), celery, Jalapeño peppers, onion, & minced garlic to saute.

When the veggies are ready I'll add the ham bone and homemade chicken stock. I'll let this simmer for about 1 hour.

Now I'll add the beans, ham chunks, crumbled bacon, and more chicken stock & bean water.

I'll cook this @ 200° in the UDS using RO lump and pecan wood chunks for around 3 hours stirring and adding stock (if needed) every 1/2 hour.

Cook down and thickened. Ready to serve.

Pan of cornbread hot out of the oven

Cornbread in a bowl sliced open and chunks of butter added.

Cornbread smothered with ham and beans. Time to eat.

Thanks for looking

I know what I am doing with our left over ham. That looks good!

• Thanks
Reactions: OSD
Man, that looks good!
Smoked ham and cooked on a smoker, huh? Was it overpowered by smoke?

• Thanks
Man, that looks good!
Smoked ham and cooked on a smoker, huh? Was it overpowered by smoke?

Not at all. The beans and broth take in the light smoke. The ham chunks are in the stock not out and exposed.

That looks amazing. Especially the step of pouring it over the cornbread, yes please!

• Thanks
Thanks for the reminder...I need to do a pot of beans. This time I'm gonna follow your recipe....and use butter beans...never made them...but have had them.

Looks delish!

• Thanks
That looks as hearty as they come! A perfect meal for a cool day, but being in Florida, 80* and sunny works.

• Thanks
What a killer dish. Like a dinner version of biscuits and gravy:-D

• Thanks
Back