Advice on a good patty press?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I hate making homemade hamburger patties because, well I suck at it. Never are the same different thicknesses. The last cheap plastic patty maker I had sucked even more. Wouldn't form patties and they would fall apart. Any advice on a good patty press? Thanks.

I find patty presses to be a PITA. If I need a uniform patty I'll use a ring mold and stuff the meat into.

If you're cooking on a flat top, it's easier to just roll the meat into balls and press them into patties with your spatula on the griddle ala Smash Burger style.

I use a Wesson hamburger press along with the associated patty papers both above and below the burger. The thickness is adjustable and it produces consistent burgers. You have to do your part and put about the same amount of meat in every time. I make about 50 or so out of fresh ground burger the morning of a big bbq and actually weigh the meat for each patty to make sure they are around 1/4 lb each. After a while you can eyeball it. The other thing is to never work the meat before the press or you can get a tough burger.

Last edited:
I just weigh out each patty of meat on a kitchen scale before forming by hand and they all tend to wind up fairly uniform. 3oz for smash burger doubles, 6oz or 8oz for grown up burgers.

I picked up a Harbor Freight patty press that does 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2# patties. Use it with patty papers and freeze the pattys and then foodsaver them for storage. Use the 1/3# size the most.

That paper looks like it would be amazing to go between the meat ball and a spatula on smashburgers.

That's what I do, except I use the square paper. You can usually use 1 sheet for multiple patties. It greatly simplifies the process and removes any of the sticking issues.

That's what I do, except I use the square paper. You can usually use 1 sheet for multiple patties. It greatly simplifies the process and removes any of the sticking issues.

Makes sense. I've used parchment paper in the past, but always get frustrated at cutting them, fighting it curling up, the wind catching and blowing the curls away, etc. Something the right size, premade, and dirt cheap-seems like a winning option.

Weber press for me too. Along with the Howard kitchens parchment sheets.

I've got a hollymatic patty machine. Have 1/4, 1/3rd and 1/2 lb plates. It automatically puts the paper between the patties.
It's a PITA to set up and clean, but wow is it fast.

I really need to replace mine. The one I have has been in my house since the 70's. It's 3 3/4 X 1/2" with a twist release knob. LoL

Back