Just got a Slow 'N Sear for my Jumbo Joe

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just received my first Slow 'N Sear last week. My Weber kettle's haven't been getting much love over the past few years & always wanted to try the Slow 'N Sear but didn't want to spend the money since unlike a lot of folks I was never really a fan of the kettle (even though I've owned a few, still own a Performer & Jumbo Joe) While I'm not a big kettle guy I still picked up a Jumbo Joe last year for a camping grill since it's easy to pack with decent capacity, although I still wish it could fit a little more food on the grate while cooking indirect.

In prepping for the upcoming camping season I've been lusting over a PK Grill but decided first I would see what all the fuss was about so I ordered the Slow 'N Sear charcoal basket for my Jumbo Joe. I finally got a chance to use it last night & was impressed! We ended up having too much steak to cook in one batch on the Jumbo Joe so I did a reverse sear. I could fit 4 strip steaks with ease but had to do the big Porterhouse by itself. I used half a chimney of RO all natural hardwood briquettes & it was the perfect amount to fill the basket. The steaks came out great & I may have held off the PK lust for another season, time will tell.

Overall I have to give it to ABC, the Slow 'N Sear is a game changer, I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about!

Last edited:
I have thought about getting a S&S but have not pulled the trigger, your steaks look perfect.

Great looking steaks! I just picked up a 22.5 kettle and am debating if I should get a vortex or slow and sear first. This post has made my decision a little harder

I love the kettles, I had a 22" Weber Performer (or One Touch ... whatever) in the Philippines when I lived there for a decade. I used the Smokenator to turn it into a smoker and that worked really well. Not perfect, but a whole lot better than what I could have cobbled together.

The Slow & Sear looks like a step up. Bigger charcoal area and better water containment. I can't do charcoal right now due to living back in the States in a "no wood/charcoal" apartment complex. But when I can, I expect to do the Slow & Sear as well as the Vortex.

I had not thought about a S&S for a Joe though. Hmm ... Interesting!

I have that for my JJ though I don't use my JJ much anymore. It does work well.

Since I have other smokers that I use instead of my kettle, I use the Vortex in my kettle way more than the SnS.

I tried to order the Vortex mini today but it's out of stock with no ETA. It was just there less than 2 weeks ago.

I bought 2 common bricks. Used the rest of the money for steaks. Equal results. YMMV.

What spend the money on the bricks? Just bunch up the charcoal to one side....:razz:

Whatever works for you... great. Lot of great cooks done before SlowNSear came along..... For me, the SlowNSear works like a charm.

Great looking steaks! I just picked up a 22.5 kettle and am debating if I should get a vortex or slow and sear first. This post has made my decision a little harder
For me the slow and sear gets a lot more use. I find the layout better for most high heat cooks and definitely better for low temp smokes

Awesome!

I bought my Weber redhead a year ago and ordered the SnS plus the pan. I've never used my kettle without it and I use my kettle at least 2 times during the week and on most weekends. I love it some much that I ordered a Weber 26 inch and by default the SnS XL plus the pan. Kicks up the Weber kettle game a few notches at least. Easy to clean up also and no more gunk on one touch cleaning system.

Great looking steaks there OP. I love my S & S and Vortex. Check with Marty Owens at Owens BBQ about the mini Vortex. He is a dealer and usually has their products in stock.

Great looking steaks there OP. I love my S & S and Vortex. Check with Marty Owens at Owens BBQ about the mini Vortex. He is a dealer and usually has their products in stock.

Owens is the only place that even lists the mini vortex, they are also the ones showing out of stock with no eta. I will keep checking the site, hopefully it is available soon.

What's the advantage of the SnS over a couple Weber charcoal baskets?

What's the advantage of the SnS over a couple Weber charcoal baskets?

I never used my charcoal baskets in this grill but have in my performer. The SnS seems to condense the charcoal more which increased the searing ability, it not only held more charcoal but also brought it up to a level slightly below the grate. The shape also looks unique if viewing from the side like it holds more charcoal on the top vs the bottom which may create more convection, not sure but I'm sure the shape is designed for a purpose? Either way the Jumbo Joe performed much better with the SnS than just laying charcoal on the side of the bowl like I usually do.

I tried to order the Vortex mini today but it's out of stock with no ETA. It was just there less than 2 weeks ago.

If you take the charcoal grate from a smoky joe and put it in place of the jumbo joe charcoal grate the small vortex fits perfectly. I ordered the small and had to figure out that setup. There a video on it on my youtube page

Back