MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #16
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

You are right about the comp bbq. I don't like to eat comp bbq. It is the same with competition chili. I don't want to eat comp chili. Same thing happened in Nascar. And I don't want to drive a Nascar car. If you want to be competitive you've got to play the game. And the target is always moving. You have to evolve with it or get left behind. But, I do know that I enjoy the other parts of comp bbq and that is meeting folks and making friends that I wouldn't have if I stayed in my backyard. Other than that, I don't have a solution for you.

I wish you the best,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
Buduh
Found some matches.

Default "BackYard"

[QUOTE=tunnelengineer;3948752]There is. Is called 'Backyard" or the rib comp at the local church down the road.]

The "local church"contest may be right but down here in Alabama the "Backyard" division is teams only cooking ribs,chicken,and butts sometimes.
I cook and am a KCBS judge. Having tasted some of the pro teams food I can proudly say some of the "backyard" teams here in Alabama could do very well in the Pro division. Its just a matter of travel and money. We cook about 12 contests a year with more available within 100 miles. Have cooked "shadetree" at The Jack and met teams from other states where the "backyard" division is not as well developed as it is around here. Here it should actually be called "semi-pro" based on cooking I have seen.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #18
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I have 2 thoughts to what the OP said.

First I have a legitimate challenge for you. I bet if YOU picked 24 judges off the street maybe even YOUR friends and family and in a blind contest you cooked against Iowa Smokey D's, Clark Crew BBQ, Shake N BaKe, Getting Basted and Porky Butts....I am willing you would finish 6th even with your own hand picked judges in a blind contest.

Second thought is this, you say it is not real BBQ and not what people like however I vend and cater and just on my ribs alone i cook comp style and that is what the general customer wants and it is not even close. You argue that it is to sweet and not real BBQ but yet the general customer would prefer that, so would i not be a fool to not give them what they want, even if i dont make very much but it brings them in to buy things that I will?

Just another question I thought of, what is your opinion on the actual cookers? Do you have a problem with pellets or cans or does it have to be a stick burner to be what you consider real BBQ? What about the techniques? If it is hot and fast is it wrong? Does it have to be low and slow to be real BBQ?

I understand you have your opinion and you are entitled to it of course, I just felt you were attacking something many of us love just to say you are right and we are all wrong. I already have one person in my life that tells me they are right and their opinions are the best and i am wrong all the time, and i sure am not looking for another WIFE, lol.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
TheDeuce
Full Fledged Farker

OP, help me understand the purpose of this thread?
You competed and didn't do very well...and because of that, everyone who competes is wrong?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #20
Q_Done_Right
On the road to being a farker

Not attacking anyone. At all. And I’m glad so many of you can so passionately defend what you do. That is the beauty of BBQ in that it can be done so many different ways. I’m not arguing that. I have charcoal smokers and a stick burner. I cook low and slow, hot and fast, and everything in between. I’ve used commercial rubs/sauces and my own rubs and sauces. I’ve cooked with foil, butcher paper and nothing. And I’ve smoked all kinds of meats (not just the typical ones). And selling your BBQ is completely different than cooking for judges in a sanctioned competition, so I don’t know why that was brought up. If people want to eat sweet or sugary tasting ribs then that is what you sell to make money. But I don’t think that is the norm in the world of BBQ from pitmasters who sell.

Like I said, I like everything about competition style BBQ except how the meat is prepared/judged by today’s standards. Of course I’m not familiar with every circuit out there except for the local ones I’ve visited or the one I participated in. It’s all good though as we can agree to disagree on some of this.

Good luck guys with your teams this new year and good conversation!
Q_Done_Right is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #21
pharp
Banned

I shared a similar thought process as the OP after my first few competitions. After thinking about it I came to two conclusions.

1. You are really cooking to a rubric that evolves/changes over time. If you can't swallow that your cooking to a crowd-sourced rubric, competition BBQ is not a good hobby because you will go crazy.

2. The best cooks are awesome cooks that have also cracked the code of this rubric. If you threw these cooks into a contest that had restrictions on sauce, rubs, ingredients, etc they would still rise to the top because of how well/consistent they cook.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Done_Right View Post
Like I said, I like everything about competition style BBQ except how the meat is prepared/judged by today’s standards. Of course I’m not familiar with every circuit out there except for the local ones I’ve visited or the one I participated in. It’s all good though as we can agree to disagree on some of this.
So you made some sweeping generalizations about the world of comp bbq based being in one local comp and seeing a few other local ones and expected this to go how??

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #23
Glass hole
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Maybe the reason you don't like competition bbq is because you can't cook good competition bbq.
Glass hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #24
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Done_Right View Post
Not attacking anyone. At all. And I’m glad so many of you can so passionately defend what you do. That is the beauty of BBQ in that it can be done so many different ways. I’m not arguing that. I have charcoal smokers and a stick burner. I cook low and slow, hot and fast, and everything in between. I’ve used commercial rubs/sauces and my own rubs and sauces. I’ve cooked with foil, butcher paper and nothing. And I’ve smoked all kinds of meats (not just the typical ones). And selling your BBQ is completely different than cooking for judges in a sanctioned competition, so I don’t know why that was brought up. If people want to eat sweet or sugary tasting ribs then that is what you sell to make money. But I don’t think that is the norm in the world of BBQ from pitmasters who sell.

Good luck guys with your teams this new year and good conversation!
I will give you the benefit of the doubt, no reason not to. But the impression i get is you wont go to a pizza place like Pizza hut or the like because it is not "true" pizza same could be said of tacos at taco bell or the such.

Now thinking in terms of competition, I will use a different analogy. And you may not, but in this analogy you should not watch Nascar or Indy car or most other car racing because they are set up cars according to the rules. Your(again not saying you have this or not just an example) but your 2018 Toyota Camry is no where near as fast and all as those Nascar cars even though in principal they are from same manufacturer. I am sure if someone had the money and the ball$ to try to run a Nascar race against those other cars and they could maintain speed (and have a Nascar license) they would be allowed to, but then when that car gets its a$$ handed to him should he really say anything because thats not how they do stuff.

I hope you get what i am trying to say. Just because you person A, likes something a certain way that does not mean persons B-Z are wrong for liking it different even if they dont necessarily agree on the ways they like it.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #25
JWACKS
On the road to being a farker

My friends, family, coworkers, etc. sure seem to enjoy my leftover competition BBQ.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #26
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Oh crap! Thanks for letting me know! I’ll call the fellas and tell them to shut down the restaurants. My food will never sell!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #27
Mokena Mitch

Name/Nickname : Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass hole View Post
Maybe the reason you don't like competition bbq is because you can't cook good competition bbq.
+1000

You don't win competitions with just sweet...such a tired comment.

Winners have a balance of flavors. If only sweet won anyone could pour sugar, corn syrup, honey, etc. on everthing(?) and win...obviously doesn't work.

Seems like most people complaining about the taste of winning BBQ are the guys who aren't winning BBQ competitions. Trust me, I love SPOG ribs unwrapped that taste like cracked pepper bacon, but they aren't winning a competition any time soon because anyone can do it and it's a pretty basic flavor. Comp ribs are totally different and MUCH more complex.
Mokena Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #28
jamesj1578

speaking on temderness alone, there is a lot larger window of doneness for what can be chopped and put on a sandwich with slaw and enjoyed as a meal in relation to what can stand alone and be judged as is. To me comp BBQ pushes the boundaries of how great BBQ can be. Flavor wise, I know there is a perception that "sweet wins" but in my experiences atleast in the northeast we have done better with savory, balanced "one bite" BBQ focusing more on tenderness.
jamesj1578 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #29
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

To the OP. You will fit right in. You are complaining/making excuses about judging/comps and you arent even cooking yet. If you dont like or dont get something, why would you do it? Give us comp cooks thst could figure out how to win, some props. We dont have a magic key that the judges tell us what they want. And Robert is right. Its guys like him that keep me cooking a few contests a year or I would have been gone years ago. And if it doesnt fit your needs, competitive cake making is an alternative

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #30
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

https://youtu.be/OEfE8jJUWyg