THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tmehlhorn

Full Fledged Farker
I finally found some really good barrels for making my UDS. They're in great condition and had Vaseline in them. However they have the dreaded red liner in them. I know this has been discussed quite a bit, however I am undecided on method and looking for additional inputs.

1 somebody mentioned using a stripper such as citristrip or something non-toxic this could be a very possible option just wondering who has actually had luck with it and how did you go about it.

2 weed burner I've heard mixed things on this concerning the red liner does it actually work? And how much propane do you typically use burning one out.

3 a burn is NOT really an option because of where I live I would have to make special arrangements to take it somewhere to do this.

I think I had the red liner in mine, It looked like paint to me. My barrel had flavoring for ice cream. Seemed like the trick was burning it a couple of times (if you can take it somewhere to do it). The color will go from the original red to black and then to a reddish brown color. Once you get to that point, comet and a green 3m scouring pad or the like will take it off with hardly any work. Hope this helps.

Edit: if you have any spots that are still black inside, its really tough to get out. I would recommend burning it again to get it to that reddish color. I tried a wire wheel on a drill and it didnt work very well at all.

I did a long hot burn and a wire wheel to get mine out. It was messy, loud, and took two weekends to accomplish. If somebody will sandblast it out for $20, throw money at them before they realize you'd gladly pay more.

Back