Duroc Question

Bigwhipple

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Thinking of doing some testing this winter with Duroc.

I see Creekstone and Compart have competition packs (2 butts and 4 racks of ribs).

For people who have used both, are they comparable?

Is there another credible source you have used?

Thanks.

I know Compart is darned tasty. Had ribs and butt a month ago. Deeper flavor than my usual Costco purchases. Better color as well. Never tried Creekstone.

I have cooked with both in competition,but hands down Compart is a superior product. The taste and consistency is the best I have found. I am not sponsored by anyone,but I still buy Compart because it’s the best for me. Just my .02

check with your local butcher to see if they can order compart duroc. If US Foods is in your area the butch may be able to order them through there. it'll be much cheaper than buying them online

check with your local butcher to see if they can order compart duroc. If US Foods is in your area the butch may be able to order them through there. it'll be much cheaper than buying them online

Thanks for the tip on US Foods. There is one near Dallas.

Can anyone (people without businesses) buy from US Foods?

In general, no. They are a food service distribution company. If you have access to a distributor, I’d check out Smithfield Duroc as well. It’s a fantastic product and very consistent because it is a food service spec.

I would not waste my time or money on Creekstone. Ribs anyway. Tried them once and only once. Plenty of people using Compart (haven't tried). I just roll commodity for pork.

This is something I've never done, but it's worth a try...and might lead to some useful information. Duroc is the second most popular breed of commodity pork...so there has to be alot of it out there that isn't specifically labeled "Duroc". Brands like Compart simply capitalize on the branding. You "may" be able to do some leg work by calling packers and researching what pork breeds they use. Most are probably not specific to a single breed, but some may be. There could be someone out there using only Duroc but not branding their label as such. That pork would likely be "normally" priced without the breed label on it. Hey, it's worth a shot if you're willing to put in the work.

As for food service companies like US Foods...typically you need a tax ID. Other than that I minimal order size is needed unless you are able to piggyback off a restaurant (if you have a friend in the business). My distributors have order minimums of around $500-$700...although they aren't extremely strict about that if their truck is in my neighborhood anyway.

This is something I've never done, but it's worth a try...and might lead to some useful information. Duroc is the second most popular breed of commodity pork...so there has to be alot of it out there that isn't specifically labeled "Duroc". Brands like Compart simply capitalize on the branding. You "may" be able to do some leg work by calling packers and researching what pork breeds they use. Most are probably not specific to a single breed, but some may be. There could be someone out there using only Duroc but not branding their label as such. That pork would likely be "normally" priced without the breed label on it. Hey, it's worth a shot if you're willing to put in the work.

As for food service companies like US Foods...typically you need a tax ID. Other than that I minimal order size is needed unless you are able to piggyback off a restaurant (if you have a friend in the business). My distributors have order minimums of around $500-$700...although they aren't extremely strict about that if their truck is in my neighborhood anyway.

You are correct that Duroc in and of itself is nothing special. Compart Duroc is however quite special. The meat is not comparable to other pork. Especially their competition meat. They specially sort their meat for competition grade vs restaurant/ grocery customers. The care and detail they put into their product is unmatched in my opinion.

Back