MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
FlavorSavor
On the road to being a farker

These knives are overlooked as a great knife. I've been using Gunter Wilhelm knives for 10-years or so and they've still got a razor sharp edge and look very nice. The price is right, too.
http://gunterwilhelm.com/cutlery/single-knives.html
FlavorSavor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Thanks for the great feedback Friends. I talked with a Friend that recommended the Henckels. He knew I did not want to mortgage the farm over this gig and set me on a lifetime set of knifes. Not too much and not too little.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the Wusthof & block wedding present set in the kitchen - very nice, very expensive. But when I need a knife that can actually cut something - ohhh, like a marshmallow for example, then grab my knife roll loaded with crazy sharp Forschners.

You can spend $130 on a Wusthof 8" Chefs marshmallow masher, or spend $40 on a Forschner 8" chefs knife that you can actually get some work done with.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #19
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Thanks for the great feedback Friends. I talked with a Friend that recommended the Henckels. He knew I did not want to mortgage the farm over this gig and set me on a lifetime set of knifes. Not too much and not too little.
Don't forget to buy a Rapala filet knife for use as a flexible boning knife. Can't do much betta.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

What ever you use keep the sharp
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
Don't forget to buy a Rapala filet knife for use as a flexible boning knife. Can't do much betta.
Well Shucks, Now your talkin' Bass Brim and Crappie! Got 3 Rapalas and 3 electrics for Redfish Specs and Flounder.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbloomfield View Post
What ever you use keep the sharp
Great point Jim. What would you recommend? I've seen the Henckel hand sharpener and been looking at the electric tri-stage sharpeners. I'm not good enough to do the stick gig.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #23
landarc

Never an electric sharpener. And if you buy a decent knife, the pull-through types are not great if they have the steel teeth. The ceramic rod pull-through sharpeners are ok if you must.

I am liking the Wicked Edge, Edge Pro or even a Lansky System for ease of use. I use stones, but, that is a bother.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #24
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Never an electric sharpener. And if you buy a decent knife, the pull-through types are not great if they have the steel teeth. The ceramic rod pull-through sharpeners are ok if you must.

I am liking the Wicked Edge, Edge Pro or even a Lansky System for ease of use. I use stones, but, that is a bother.
I see what your saying for sure. The one I'm lookin' at has the "so called" diamond dust wheels. About $100 at Bass Pro. Not sure who makes it yet.

Had a Butcher tell a Friend that if you go with a 17* angle on the blade, it's sharper but will not hold an edge as long. If you go with a 30* angle, it will stay sharper longer but not cut as well.

In a quandary about this.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I see what your saying for sure. The one I'm lookin' at has the "so called" diamond dust wheels. About $100 at Bass Pro. Not sure who makes it yet.

Had a Butcher tell a Friend that if you go with a 17* angle on the blade, it's sharper but will not hold an edge as long. If you go with a 30* angle, it will stay sharper longer but not cut as well.

The 17* angle is actually more obtuse than the 30* bevel, as the 30* bevel is 30* inclusive. In other words, it is 15* per side. The 17* angle would be 34* inclusive. On kitchen knives, an inclusive angle of 30* is pretty standard. Some like 26*, but your steel needs to be fairly "soft" or not too hard, as an angle that acute will chip or roll on you.

Most hard use knives (hunting, chopping, etc) use an angle of 40* for longer edge retention. For pocket knives, a lot of people like the 30* or around 28* for getting their knives hair popping sharp.

For my personal preference, I prefer a carbon steel kitchen knife over a stainless steel one. My kitchen set is a quality stainless steel set I bought several years ago, and is quite sharp. I use a "steel" on them to keep them sharp between actual sharpening sessions. The steel does not actually sharpen the knives, but re profiles the edge after hard use as the edge rolls or gets minute chips in them.

I have several carbon steel knives that I found at a local Goodwill store for $1 each. I brought them home and sharpened them up to where you can push cut phone book paper without any tearing. Love to see just how sharp I can get them

I keep all my knives in a block or separated from each other. Never throw all your knives in a drawer together, as they will chip and dull each other. Also only cut on a wood or plastic type cutting board, and never on glass or ceramic. Good knives are worth protecting.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #26
Bro-be-que
Knows what a fatty is.

i bought a 14" dexter that i am totally in love with for slicing brisket. good responsive backbone but enough flex to be pretty forgiving. best specific use knife i've owned...

BGE, Char Griller offset pit, Weber OTS
Bro-be-que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #27
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

It's the old dilemma

long gun vs hand gun
shotgun vs rifle

In the end I think that's why lots of folks end up with more than one (knives, guns, etc.).

As to the issue of sharpening a knife, buying that book Cloudsmoker mentioned is good advice as is the idea of practicing on less expensive knives that retired trucker threw out there (and yeah...there is something neat about using a sharp, inexpensive knife while your buddy is over there struggling with his high dollar blade).

Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Default Sharpener I use

Edge Pro
Brethren member Big Poppa sells them. Makes them real sharp. A lot of new knives out of the box can be made sharper with this unit. Oh I have tried many methods this one is the best overall

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories?manufacturer=212
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbloomfield View Post
Edge Pro
Brethren member Big Poppa sells them. Makes them real sharp. A lot of new knives out of the box can be made sharper with this unit. Oh I have tried many methods this one is the best overall

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories?manufacturer=212

I will echo what Jim has stated, the Edge Pro is bad arse. Free shipping too