• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to season my new smoker and grill - my OCD is driving me crazy

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK guys - my OCD is in overdrive.

Chris at Lone Star Grillz recommends PAM to season my new smoker. Same for my new grill on the way.

Others simply use vegetable oil.

I am an avid cast iron user in the kitchen, and have used the flaxseed method as outlined by Cheryl Canto and Cooks Illustrated with GREAT success. It us much more effective and durable than most other methods when done correctly.

I was thinking about seasoning my smoker and grill with flax seed oil, however an important part of the step as outlined in CI is to get the cast iron smoking hot - over 400 degrees. I know from experience if this not done it can become a bit sticky.

Yet Chris as LSG is adamant not to take the smoker above 250 - preferably even 225 during the initial seasoning. This has me wondering if the flax seed method will work.

My other concern is FSO can have an "off" taste. Do I run the risk of introducing this off taste to the unit which my through off future cooking tastes?

What do you guys think?

I would not go against the advice of the builder with such a great reputation and probably thousands of happy customers. If the pam didn't work he would know. 400 on a new cooker is not something i would chance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IMO Flax is totally over rated. People were seasoning cast iron for many many years before they even knew what flax was. I don't think flax is as durable as other fats. I like lard. Vegetable oil works, but the reason people use cooking spray, is the ease of application, and it works. No need to complicate things. I am curious why he said not to go above 250 though. I would think you would want to get it hot, to burn off any debris and manufacturing oils.

I would do what Chis said and do not over think things and use Pam and I use this on all my cookers .

IMO Flax is totally over rated. People were seasoning cast iron for many many years before they even knew what flax was. I don't think flax is as durable as other fats. I like lard. Vegetable oil works, but the reason people use cooking spray, is the ease of application, and it works. No need to complicate things. I am curious why he said not to go above 250 though. I would think you would want to get it hot, to burn off any debris and manufacturing oils.
The concern is curing the paint. FB can get damaged if not allowed to set. Warming wood on fb before curing can mess up the paint also.

Last edited:
The concern is curing the paint. FB can't get damaged if not allowed to set. Warming wood on fb before curing can mess up the paint also.

That makes total sense.

You’re over thinking it. All you are doing is getting a coating of oil on the bare metal so it doesn’t rust. It’s not cast iron where you want a non stick surface. Go buy some generic canola oil spray, spray it down and get it hot!

Please take heed to all that has been said above. Chris knows what he is talking about. Follow the written instructions that he provides with your cooker and also to his oral advice.

Use something like Pam or its equivalent and do NOT go over the 250* limit when seasoning the pit. Doing so will assure that you will be happy, happy and happy.

Do not listen to anyone that says differently. Period.

As mentioned, youre over thinking it. Just pick an oil or pam and do as instructed.

As another brethren mentioned, DO NOT set wood on your firebox during the seasoning. I did that just this weekduring the first 30 minutes of initial burn and the paint acted as if it was wet. At first I thought it was the logs smoking, nope.

I used vegetable oil because it was handy and I had a spray bottle. I could definitely smell the vegetable oil cooking but it went away after a couple steam cleans and a couple hours of seasoning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 54
Back