MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #2251
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logg7 View Post
Anybody Smoking Meats for the Thanksgiving Holidays ?
What’s on the Menus?
Two bone in turkey breasts for Thanksgiving dinner.
[URL="http://aekellerfoundation.org"]http://aekellerfoundation.org[/URL]
Eads Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #2252
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Why does the fire always manage to skip over the T-plates??? Seems like they should work but nope, every time.

Would love to see pics from someone's fire brick setup.
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #2253
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post
Why does the fire always manage to skip over the T-plates??? Seems like they should work but nope, every time.

They get too hot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #2254
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

I have had it jump the fire bricks as well. I wonder if they get so hot they ignite the charcoal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160819_164955.jpg (90.7 KB, 643 views)

Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #2255
harleykids
On the road to being a farker

I have never had the fire jump my Lonestar metal T plates, but I run them at max width (around 3" or so between plates)

I also only start about 3 briquettes on fire when I start my fire, so I keep my fire small.
I run a DigiQ and don't have any issues with fire jumping, etc.

There is a pic of my firebox setup a few pages back, will try to find it...

Old 11-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #2256
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post

There are several reasons why it can jump. Spacing may be to narrow. ATC fan blowing hot ash (especially if the controller doesn't run a variable speed fan, 25cfm bursts of air can stir a lot of ash). Wood embers are also a likely reason, especially really dried wood like you would find in per-packaged bags will "pop" more than would more properly seasoned wood will do. Transfer from underneath can also be a contributing factor, small coals fall down into the ash pan roll a little and then transfer up. Leaving the fire box door closed during the cook will also decrease the chance of this happening since every time you open the door you are stoking the fire increasing the chance for all of the above to happen.

Chris
Lone Star Grillz
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #2257
harleykids
On the road to being a farker

here are some firebox setups that seem to work without jumping.

Page 147 starts the pics and threads

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...85024&page=147

Hope that helps!
Jaon

Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #2258
SmokinFun
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences with the Lonestar Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet. It has helped me a lot in deciding which smoker to choose. I had been on the fence between their stick burner and the IVC. Ultimately, I went with the IVC since I have a 10 month old full of energy and plans for expanding my family in the near future.( later I might have to get their offset). I have been smoking on a smoke vault propane smoker so I am excited on this upgrade.

I just ordered the Mini today with..
Folding Table
SS Handle
Tie downs
8'' Wheels
Heat diverter
T-Plates
3-extra rails
2-grates

Thinking of maybe adding the 3rd grate. Don't know yet. I was told it would take 6 weeks and if anyone is on the fence about ordering one, they have free shipping on orders over 3000 right now. Thanks again all!
SmokinFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #2259
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFun View Post
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences with the Lonestar Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet. It has helped me a lot in deciding which smoker to choose. I had been on the fence between their stick burner and the IVC. Ultimately, I went with the IVC since I have a 10 month old full of energy and plans for expanding my family in the near future.( later I might have to get their offset). I have been smoking on a smoke vault propane smoker so I am excited on this upgrade.

I just ordered the Mini today with..
Folding Table
SS Handle
Tie downs
8'' Wheels
Heat diverter
T-Plates
3-extra rails
2-grates

Thinking of maybe adding the 3rd grate. Don't know yet. I was told it would take 6 weeks and if anyone is on the fence about ordering one, they have free shipping on orders over 3000 right now. Thanks again all!

You can skip the T-plates IMO, other than that, Congrats on the order!!! You'll love it!
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #2260
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Agree. My T-Plates are seasoned, wrapped in plastic, and somewhere in the garage behind my pile of charcoal and wood chunks. Never used them.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #2261
SmokinFun
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the advice! I might end up removing them from the order. I am a novice smoker and do it as a hobby. So I figured I can use all the help I can get . Just excited to smoke and make great food.

On the 3rd extra grate, still thinking on it. I figure, better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
SmokinFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #2262
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFun View Post
Thanks for the advice! I might end up removing them from the order. I am a novice smoker and do it as a hobby. So I figured I can use all the help I can get . Just excited to smoke and make great food.

On the 3rd extra grate, still thinking on it. I figure, better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
I ordered mine with all seven positions welded in but only ordered one extra grate (5 total ). But mine is the regular size not the mini. I’ve yet to need more space for what I do. With the Mini, having the extra grates may come in handy. But at least get all 7 positions welded in so you can arrange it like you want.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #2263
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

New baby brother! Coming soon!
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/PeeWee...ed-smoker.html
Custom 24"x60" Insulated Offset
36" Assassin Grill
48" Custom Assassin Grill
A whole family of Webers.
Smokin' Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #2264
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
There are several reasons why it can jump. Spacing may be to narrow. ATC fan blowing hot ash (especially if the controller doesn't run a variable speed fan, 25cfm bursts of air can stir a lot of ash). Wood embers are also a likely reason, especially really dried wood like you would find in per-packaged bags will "pop" more than would more properly seasoned wood will do. Transfer from underneath can also be a contributing factor, small coals fall down into the ash pan roll a little and then transfer up. Leaving the fire box door closed during the cook will also decrease the chance of this happening since every time you open the door you are stoking the fire increasing the chance for all of the above to happen.

Chris
Lone Star Grillz

Oh hey Chris, thanks!
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #2265
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcWliQjtknc