• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Utensils for portion control?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Looking at the catering calculators, it's all based on serving size. How is that handled for meats like pulled pork and shredded chicken? I'm guessing those oddly shaped 1/2 cup spoons aren't used-so is it just tongs and a prayer?

I've had good luck with Vollrath in the past, so for sides do I stock up on their spoodles, tongs and those ice cream like measured dishers?

spoodles and dishers for everything that makes sense: shredded/pulled/chopped meats, mac and cheese, potato salad, beans, slaw, etc. Scale for sliced items: brisket, turkey, pastrami, pork belly, etc...

Looking at the catering calculators, it's all based on serving size. How is that handled for meats like pulled pork and shredded chicken? I'm guessing those oddly shaped 1/2 cup spoons aren't used-so is it just tongs and a prayer?

I've had good luck with Vollrath in the past, so for sides do I stock up on their spoodles, tongs and those ice cream like measured dishers?

The few times I've mass produced pork sandwiches, I weighed out 1/4 pound of pork once or twice so I knew roughly how much meat it was, and then just eyeballed it from there.

Late to the game, but if your setting up for self serve lines consider bun size on something like pulled pork if trying to manage portions (the bigger the bun the more meat on avg)

Never too late. I assume someone with catering questions, will read all the threads in this forum-I know I sure did. That particular event is now long gone, but it's still good advice to get out there!

We always have the meat station at the end of the line, then the plates are somewhat full. Pulled pork is usually self-serve, but brisket and lamb are sliced and plated.

Back