After 20+ years, finally need to get serious, help please

Abouna

Reaction score
Started 20 years ago with a NB cheapish offset. Rusted out.

Then went to a Weber 18.5 SM with Guru. Loved the results but hated the coal access and the lack of real estate and the vertical design (hard to access the second grate......really hated that part). Used that for MANY years.

Last year I sold the old kit and bought a PBC. Works great, good results but it does not have the capacity I need (I need to be able to do 8 or more butts on occasion), I'm not super crazy about the hanging method (I've had a couple slabs fall off even when hooked in several ribs). It's not that great for capacity or anything but ribs (but I do admire the results and the simplicity).

So last year I bought Franklin's book and loved it. I was considering building a 120g propane tank version but honestly I just don't have the time for another major project.

So here I am back to wondering what I should consider. I can see spending up to $2k or so. Frankly though I'm worried about wood consumption on a big offset. Like I said, I need to do medium large quantities when we have a large group over but most of the time it would never more than a couple slabs and butts. I'd also like to make really good brisket, which is something I haven't nailed very often with what I've had.

So I'm thinking either bite the bullet with a decent offset and just suck up the wood cost or maybe consider going back to the WSM or maybe the larger version (but then I'm back to vertical cooking and the hassle of two levels).

I even considered a kamado but the capacity just isn't there.

Any advice much appreciated.

I'm looking at Yoder, Shirley, Bell and Marshal but too many choices

Im not sure what wood runs for up there in Iowa, but at $200 a cord or so, wood is a pretty cheap fuel source. Especially when you cook large quantities of meat.

I am sure there are MANY pits that can fit your needs,I vote Shirley Fab,insulated firebox.There are tons of options on the Shirley's and others.Good luck.

I am sure there are MANY pits that can fit your needs,I vote Shirley Fab,insulated firebox.There are tons of options on the Shirley's and others.Good luck.

This would get the nod from me to, Shirley's insulated firebox sips small firewood splits and the Q is second to none.

My Lang 48 Patio fits all my needs. You might consider it!

be8d3546091d994298d6532daefc7b8b.jpg

816d6a4727e21980ef42b313d67c6de4.jpg

e18ced35e37d8228871f190f705acf94.jpg

fac73c8344d2bd08ff68a9962b201eef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.I love the Yoder cookers...Wish I had one..........
I love the Yoders as well: I stepped up and bought one in the April timeframe. I love it. I can vote for it without reservation. I do not know of the OP would enjoy a pellet pooper or not given he's looking at building a big stick burner. Its a great cooker though with a large amount of space. But it is a pooper so the I dunno if its in the running

Pretty set on no pellets. After all these years I want to do either stick or charcoal.

I'm not against vertical but not too keen on going back to a water pan.

That KC deal is tempting

Just MHO ...

Traditional offset - non-reverse flow
48" or larger cook chamber
Non-insulated firebox

Pure Central Texas Style!
(so many to to choose from)

Pretty set on no pellets. After all these years I want to do either stick or charcoal.

I'm not against vertical but not too keen on going back to a water pan.

That KC deal is tempting

Don't need to put water in the pan. My pan just has firebricks in it.

I have been going through some of the same situations with a couple of ECB's I have (one over 20 years) and suffer the same types of conditions on cooks.
Made my mind up on a Meadowcreek BX 50 cabinet smoker for multiple reasons. I do love the water feed and always love using water smoke. But, it can be used as a dry smoke also.
It is pricey, but the quality is fantastic. And several on the Comp Trail use them and are winners with them.
Check them out, I know you will see the quality and being they are American Made by Amish craftsmen you know you are getting the best.

I do not have one of them, but a 270 KC smoker is in the 2k range and is over your capacity for max food cooking. I would look at getting one for sure if I was looking at a cabinet. There have been many nice cookers recommended already.

Last edited:
There's a couple of smokers for sale right now on in the General Trade area of this forum.

This one seems like it would be the best bet for you with your criteria, proximity, and budget. If I weren't half way across the country I would buy this smoker RIGHT NOW.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273357

There's also a Boathouse Smokers up for sale and it looks like it's not very far away either.

Both of those smokers would probably give you everything you need.

Back