Wrapping with butcher paper and foil?

UMICH1

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I was watching a Harry Soo video, and he wrapped the brisket first with butcher paper and then with foil over top of that. Seemed strange. Any input as to why he did that? Thanks.

Seems like that would counteract the whole "breathability" aspect of butcher paper, but what do I know?

For the best of both worlds, start with a double layer of foil at least 3" larger in all directions than your meat. I like to set the foil on a sheet pan and bring up the edges so liquid won't run out. When you are ready to seal lay your butcher paper on top (trim with scissors if needed), then roll-up the foil and paper all together. Now you have a breathable top, that does wick some grease, and foil that will hold juices nicely.

vwAtWlx.jpg

Z1YgHV7.jpg

The paper wont do anything. He might as well just wrap in foil. Just ignore it.

I've tried paper several times now and maybe because i'm a pleb - I don't see much if any difference except it takes longer to cook in paper.

I personally like the ol' wrapped in butcher paper, then put in a pan raised on a rack and then foiled!!!!! Get the trifecta going baby!

zqqhMDTl.jpg

i0CJGRzl.jpg

I did my last brisket the same as thirdeye shows his ribs.
It really kept the bottom of it from getting crusty and the 1st 1/2" sliced from the tip of the point was as tender as the middle. I was able to capture enough juice, to pour over the slices.
This is now my go to method.

Back