MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #31
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

"set and forget" they say.....
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #32
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

Wood gassification....

During WWII with the shortage of gasoline, a lot of gasoline engines were converted to run on "wood gas" in Europe. They even ran trucks on the smoke/wood gas. It's not super efficient, but it will burn as you captured on video.

If you go to youtube and search for "wood gassifier" you will find everything from trucks to tractors, to generators running off of firewood and pellets.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #33
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAlan View Post
One last question, was the grills hopper full of pellets and were they flowing into the Fire Pot smoothly without any interruptions?? Just trying to help You figure out what happened... Sometimes the pellets in the hopper get stuck and hung up in the hopper and don’t flow through the Auger Tube smoothly... That delay can cause a flameout. Once the pellets starts to flow again, they will/can pile up in the Fire-pot and smolder, causing a lot of smoke to billow out and if not cleared out properly, can cause an explosion like your video. It’s always a good idea to check your grills hopper from time to time and if you’re going to leave your grill for any extended amount of time, it wise to stir the pellets in the hopper and if possible, add some pellets to the hopper. The added weight will help the pellets to flow down and not get hung up, thus possibly causing a flame out... 1. Proper Start up and Preheating... 2. Always check and stir the pellets in the hopper to insure a constant flow of pellets into the fire pot... 3. Check the bag of pellets for excessive sawdust that can cause issues with the pellet ignition... and lastly and I know You know is to always safely shop vac the fire pot after every cook... I’m pretty sure I covered everything, but if in doubt, You can always reach out to Pit Boss for their input and send them the link to your explosion video. If You do, post back their response and advice. Good luck
The hopper was full to the top with the lumberjack that I bought from Dicks a couple months ago. It may have been a jam in the auger. I can say with 100% certainty that I didn’t touch anything on the controller since I lit the thing a couple hours before. The smoldering pellet theory is the only thing I can think of.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #34
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Since I know nothing about pellet cookers I am happy I burn sticks in my offset and charcoal and chunks in my grill. Thanks for posting glad nobody was hurt.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #35
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
"set and forget" they say.....
For reals. If pellet grills need special procedures to have them NOT blow up, then count me out.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #36
MichiganBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I was half expecting to see an explosion when I saw the billowing smoke. Smitty posted a bunch of links to videos of this happening. This is not a unheard of event.

I did do a proper startup and the pit was running properly for a couple hours before this happened.

Chris
Why why why would you stand that close to something you were "expecting" to explode?
MichiganBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #37
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

I would have turned it off and opened the lid (with a grilling glove on) to dissipate the smoke *BEFORE* it poofed off. But in all fairness, there are a lot of videos of this happening and it's not going to actually explode, just a quick flashover lifting the lid, and the combustible smoke is gone. Show over....
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #38
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Minor surgical procedures happen to other people.

Minor explosions happen to other people too.

Maybe it was not exactly dangerous- but it was certainly exciting.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #39
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganBBQ View Post
Why why why would you stand that close to something you were "expecting" to explode?
I’ve seen videos of these blowing before and none of them are much more than what I got. It’s mostly just a flash. I was more concerned of the resulting fire if there was a pile of unburnt pellets in the bottom of the cooker. Luckily there wasn’t a pile of unburnt pellets in the bottom.

My wife always has the hose turned on to water the plants on our deck and I was ready to use it if needed. I also drained the pellets in the hopper into a bucket after I shut it down and unplugged it just in case a fire tried to back up the auger. Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 06-22-2019 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #40
SmittyJonz

Clean it All Up, including Auger n Chute and Fire it Up.........

Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #41
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

Dang!! Never seen a Mak do that, but not saying it couldn’t happen. I guess anything is possible.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #42
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganBBQ View Post
Good question.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #43
4ever3

Here... Hold my beer!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #44
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

After seeing this as well as several other pellet grills act this way, I've decided I don't need one!
The big attraction was the unattended smoking for ling and overnight cooks.
Not sure I'd trust one of any make.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #45
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Clean it All Up, including Auger n Chute and Fire it Up.........
I’ll try cleaning everything out next weekend and will report what I find. The chute is empty because I drained the pellets right after shutting it down for fear of a fire backing up through the auger.

By the way, the Kailua pork was a hit. It was incredibly easy to make, and finishing it off in the oven was easy. We plan on making this again. Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 06-22-2019 at 10:53 PM..