MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #2776
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I usually just grill the mahi with ol bay & Make some fish tacos. Mahi is so good! I usually add purple cabbage for crunch & whatever other fixings you like. Sounds like a great trip. We caught ours in the Outer Banks. Great time!!
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #2777
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I light my tube with a torch. Hold it there for about a minute maybe. Let the pellets catch fire & burn. Wait about another minute & blow out the fire & I don't have any problem with it smoking away. I think mine is a 12". Usually lasts a good 4-5 hours
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 05:26 AM   #2778
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Are most of you smoking using your smoke setting? On the mak it’s at a temp of a 170-180 is this only for cold smoking? I would assume meat could stay in the danger zone using that low of a temp right?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #2779
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Are most of you smoking using your smoke setting? On the mak it’s at a temp of a 170-180 is this only for cold smoking? I would assume meat could stay in the danger zone using that low of a temp right?
Some guys like to use the smoke setting for the first hour or two to impart more smoke... and then bump the controller to a more traditional low n slow temp for the remainder of the cook. On the MAK's I have not found that to be necessary as I get a TON of smoke anywhere in the 200-300 degree range. I even get a good amount of smoke into the 300's :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #2780
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Some guys like to use the smoke setting for the first hour or two to impart more smoke... and then bump the controller to a more traditional low n slow temp for the remainder of the cook. On the MAK's I have not found that to be necessary as I get a TON of smoke anywhere in the 200-300 degree range. I even get a good amount of smoke into the 300's :)

Gotcha. I did my first smoke using Lumberjack Applewood pellets. Smoked at 225 for a while then bumped it up to a high temp to finish. Unfortunately did not get enough smoke profile. Im wondering it it is just the mildness of the Apple or if i needed to use the smoke setting. Id prefer to smoke at 275 or so but i worry about not getting enough of a smoke profile.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #2781
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have not used the smoke setting, I get enough smoke for my pallet just cooking in the low 200's.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #2782
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Try using hickory pellets. I used lumberjack hickory on some ribs a couple days ago and let it ride at 225 deg on the top rack. Plenty of flavorful smoke and the ribs had a good aroma as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #2783
rwalters

Quote:
Gotcha. I did my first smoke using Lumberjack Applewood pellets. Smoked at 225 for a while then bumped it up to a high temp to finish. Unfortunately did not get enough smoke profile. Im wondering it it is just the mildness of the Apple or if i needed to use the smoke setting. Id prefer to smoke at 275 or so but i worry about not getting enough of a smoke profile.

Yes, fruitwoods are always gonna be more mild. I see that you also have a WSM. I find that guys coming from charcoal/chunks to pellet smokers often take some time to adjust to the lighter/cleaner smoke profile. I spent 20+ years smoking with lump/chunks and have always loved it. That said, once my pallet adjusted to the cleaner smoke profile of pellets, I find that I enjoy them more than charcoal/chunks. I also get more consistent praise for the food from my MAK than any of my previous cookers.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #2784
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Yes, fruitwoods are always gonna be more mild. I see that you also have a WSM. I find that guys coming from charcoal/chunks to pellet smokers often take some time to adjust to the lighter/cleaner smoke profile. I spent 20+ years smoking with lump/chunks and have always loved it. That said, once my pallet adjusted to the cleaner smoke profile of pellets, I find that I enjoy them more than charcoal/chunks. I also get more consistent praise for the food from my MAK than any of my previous cookers.

Thanks. I guess i will see. Im going to use the apple until i finish the 20lb bag. I also have some char oak blends and a few other types so i will see how they all differ. If i need to i will also get a smoke tube.

I will say though, ive smoked twice on my new Mak 1 and man i love the ease of use factor. I dont need to drag the WSM out of my garage, get the charcoal setup, prep the wood, light it, add it, get it to temp, add food, stabailze temp just to get it going. hit a button and its done.

While i have you another question. I notice that when i was seasoning, i set it to 450. The unit said grill temp was 450 as well as the set point. However, the probe that i had at the grate was always lower. Like around 390 or so. Is this normal? I havent installed my flamezone yet, not sure how that impacts this.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #2785
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I recently got a MAK2 and was amazed at the amount of smoke that it put out. I did my first overnight brisket on it started at 225, and ramped up to 250 upon wrapping. It did not seem to need to be on the smoke setting. The result was fantastic and as good as I've made on any of the other cookers I have had.
DBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #2786
rwalters

Quote:
While i have you another question. I notice that when i was seasoning, i set it to 450. The unit said grill temp was 450 as well as the set point. However, the probe that i had at the grate was always lower. Like around 390 or so. Is this normal? I havent installed my flamezone yet, not sure how that impacts this.

That does not sound right. If you are cruising at 450° a 3rd party probe placed on the main grate should easily read 450° or higher. If you are gonna add the Flame Zone, I wouldn’t worry about it to much until after the switch. The FZ completely changes the cooking characteristics for the better. With the FZ, you will find the MAK to be extremely versatile from low-n-slow up to high temp grilling. If for some reason you are still seeing a temp differential where the main grate is cooler than the controller reading, I’d definitely reach out to MAK. They are great!

One more thing, with the FZ in place and the covers removed, a set temp of 450° will easily provide a cooking temp of 550-575° at the grate... perfect for almost all of your grilling needs. I typically grill with a set temp between 425-450° on my MAK and find it to work VERY well with the FZ covers removed :)

Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #2787
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

So I haven’t been posting much because been too busy cooking! Lol. I’ve done a ton of comparison cooks between my Weber 26 and Mak 1 star and can’t come to a clear conclusion on which is my favorite.

This smoke I did salmon. One on the right is the Mak and left is kettle. I ran the Mak at 200 deg on top rack so roughly 225 deg with hickory pellets. I ran the kettle at 275 deg with B and B lump and hickory chips.

Mak clearly has the best smoke color and overall appearance. I wasn’t able to run the kettle at 225 deg without smothering the coals too much so I just ran it at 275 deg (at least I think it was 275 deg lol).

I felt like the pellet won this one both in appearance and flavor. Neither had off flavors but I feel like 100% wood flavor is definitely superior to charcoal and wood on seafood at least

Last edited by BKING!; 08-14-2019 at 03:21 PM..
BKING! is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 PM   #2788
rwalters

Welcome back to the Brethren stranger! Nice cook!! Having the same cookers as you, which is my favorite depends on the day and mood. Most days go to the MAK though :)

Old 06-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #2789
GatorBeerGeek
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I ended up going to visit my parents before the Rural King sale was over last weekend and bought a few more bags. I think I should be good to go for quite some time now.

GatorBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #2790
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBeerGeek View Post
I ended up going to visit my parents before the Rural King sale was over last weekend and bought a few more bags. I think I should be good to go for quite some time now.

I’ve tried all those except for the mesquite. I haven’t used mesquite in a long time.