Nashville named America's best city for barbecue?

Crakaveli

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Dunno if it's true, but I'm never at a loss for where to get some good q.

I'm not sure what kind of following Travel and Leisure has, but I would imagine that Nashville being a big tourist destination has a lot to do with it. Nashville's BBQ scene borrows from the surrounding BBQ meccas. Its sort of a melting pot, you can get various styles. But when you see how many people voted Whitt's as the best BBQ in Nashville, it makes you wonder if they've ever tried BBQ any where else.

Dude whitts sucks famously. i even read an article interviewing local pitmasters and they called Whitts out by name saying it sucks. Lol

I live here.......no way. Don't even get me started on how overrated Martin's is. I'd rather eat at Jim N Nicks in a heartbeat.

I live here.......no way. Don't even get me started on how overrated Martin's is. I'd rather eat at Jim N Nicks in a heartbeat.

I think they're about even on chicken, edge to Jim n Nicks on brisket. But have you been to pegleg porker or edleys?

Keep namin' 'em brothers - I'm gonna be there for about a week and a half this summer and I'm gonna be hongry!

Keep namin' 'em brothers - I'm gonna be there for about a week and a half this summer and I'm gonna be hongry!

Dry rub ribs and dry rub wings at pegleg porker.

Brisket sandwich at edley's

Pulled pork plate at puckett's grocery

Had the pulled pork plate at Puckett's yesterday. Very salty. It's like they mixed salt water in with the pork. Yuck.

Had the pulled pork plate at Puckett's yesterday. Very salty. It's like they mixed salt water in with the pork. Yuck.

Of the dozen of so folks I've sent and another twenty or so I've eaten with there you're the only person who ever said anything negative about their pulled pork. I believe it must have been a fluke.

I love Nashville (used to travel there very often for work), but that is just funny.

Of the dozen of so folks I've sent and another twenty or so I've eaten with there you're the only person who ever said anything negative about their pulled pork. I believe it must have been a fluke.

Maybe so. People just rave about that place, as well as Martin's. I just thought they were lame. I don't know; I think just about all restaurant BBQ is lame. Certainly not deserving of the accolades they receive.

Maybe so. People just rave about that place, as well as Martin's. I just thought they were lame. I don't know; I think just about all restaurant BBQ is lame. Certainly not deserving of the accolades they receive.

I imagine on a site like this, most of us would prefer to stay home and eat our own q :razz:

Dude whitts sucks famously. i even read an article interviewing local pitmasters and they called Whitts out by name saying it sucks. Lol

i don't even know if they smoke their pork. it's cooked at a central location, frozen, then reheated in big pots. i know their ribs aren't smoked. easy to tell.

from their website

Whitt’s Barbecue, a Nasvhille tradition since 1978, is slow cooked the old-fashioned way; cooked 24 hours with hickory smoke.

wtf?

i don't even know if they smoke their pork. it's cooked at a central location, frozen, then reheated in big pots. i know their ribs aren't smoked. easy to tell.

from their website

wtf?

I've never tasted or smelled a single hint of smoke on their meat. Everyone in middle Tennessee has had it at some banquet or another.

I imagine on a site like this, most of us would prefer to stay home and eat our own q :razz:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Most all restaurant Q is weak sauce compared to what we make now, and probably not any better than what we first started making. I know this: I can fire up the ol Cooper's style Llano steel direct pit in my back yard, burn some Shagbark Hickory wood down to coals, shovel em under a couple of big pork shoulders for about 10 hours or so, and it'll be 100 times better than anything in Nashvegas.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Most all restaurant Q is weak sauce compared to what we make now, and probably not any better than what we first started making. I know this: I can fire up the ol Cooper's style Llano steel direct pit in my back yard, burn some Shagbark Hickory wood down to coals, shovel em under a couple of big pork shoulders for about 10 hours or so, and it'll be 100 times better than anything in Nashvegas.

Let me know when you need a witness lol

The last restaurant Q I had that was decent was at.......wait.......it was......ummmm.....can't remember. I can't stand that ubiquitous southern pride, smoldering wood flavor.

Moved here from Orlando 4 years ago. I still can't find a decent BBQ restaurant.
IMHO if there is no smoke emanating from the building, or from out back. Move on Brother.
Sounds like we have enough local brethren for a Bash!

Moved here from Orlando 4 years ago. I still can't find a decent BBQ restaurant.
IMHO if there is no smoke emanating from the building, or from out back. Move on Brother.
Sounds like we have enough local brethren for a Bash!

Sure does look that way!

Back